Chapter Thirty-Four

Tris

It took us nearly all day to get out of downtown L.A. The zombie population doubled from just a day ago. That's what happens when you have too many people living in one city.
"So you left Felicia with Madison?" Christian asked a third time.
At this point, I'd welcome every annoying repetitive question he asked. "Yes."
"Interesting..." he just said.
For the next hour we hid inside a van waiting the small zombie herd to pass. "They'll be fine. Maybe we'll return with them getting along."
"Uh uh."
"I'm confused," Christy joined in. "What's the big deal?"
Christian snorted low. I punched him lightly on the shoulder. "Keep it down."
He waved his hand out. "Sorry." He turned to Christy in a cheap warn grin. "My sister has been in love with Madison for years."
"I wasn't in love the entire time," I sneered low.
"I mean...every time Madison would walk by, she'd drool."
"Shut up or I'll give you back to that twisted family."
He frowned.
Poor choice for a joke. "You know--"
Christian cracked a smile before I could think I hurt his feelings. "Nah. Donnie and Donald were crazy. Really just Donnie. Donald just followed his orders. Williams was cool. He really didn't know what they done, Tris."
Yeah. I was not going to open that door.
The van got quiet. Christy rested her head on Christian's lap. They looked cute together. I was happy they had each other.
"Look. Before we get back..."
"You don't have to say it," Christian cut in.
I nodded. "Yes. I do." I sighed, smiling back at both of them. "I'm sorry I lost you both. I don't want you to think for one second I stopped searching for you two. Everyday without you two, scared me more. The idea of not knowing where you two were. If you were all right. Being taken by zombies..." my mind flooded with still present fears. I got them back but there would always be threats as long as the world stayed on this path.
My fist balled tight. Christian brushed his hand over my arm. I relaxed from his comfort. "I--we never stopped believing you'd find us. We knew you weren't gone. It was hard seeing them shoot you and then dump you out like that but that never made either of us doubt you'd not find us. It was a matter of when. Felicia was brave in escaping."
I frowned. "Escaped. She said he dumped her out because she was causing too much trouble."
"Well yes and no." Christy smiled. "She said she'd put on a performance and when given the opportunity, she'd escape and find you. Bring you back."
That made things for me feel different toward Felicia. From the first few days of knowing Felicia, everything scared her. Knowing she purposely put herself in a dangerous situation to find me...made me smile. Without her, I wouldn't have been able to find my brother and Christy for much longer. Possibly never. I'd have to thank her.
"It's pretty quiet out there." Christian peeked his head to the front of the van.
"Be still. Let me check." I pulled out my katana that I'd missed dearly when Donnie and Donald took it from me. Slowly, I opened one of the back double doors. It popped open, a walker snatching my arm out. I flipped out of the van, landing hard on the concrete.
Two more walkers scrambled for me. The walker that pulled me out, dropped to his knees. I pulled out my knife, burying it into his skull. I got up quickly, grabbing my katana from the ground. Swiftly I slid my katana into the next walkers skull, kicking it in the chest. The last walker approaching wasn't worth killing, to far too matter. I hopped back into the van, finding Christian only beside me when I closed both doors. "There are a lot of walkers out there."
"No shit," he said.
"Where's..." I got the answer to my unfinished question. I heard the engine start and moved quickly to the front, finding Christy in the driver seat. "What the hell." There was no key in the ignition. "You knew how to hot wire a car this entire time?"
Christy smiled apologetically. "We never been so desperate for a car until now."

"Her dad's a mechanic. Taught her the skills of having a car," Christian smiled educating me.

I patted the seat. "Let's get the hell out of here."