Chapter Thirty- Two

Madison

"This can not be happening." I leaned against the wall next to one of the sleeping quarters across from the shower room where the girls were. I covered my face with both hands. The last thing we needed was a herd of zombies blocking us in; worse trapping us here.

Felicia seemed to be far more stressed than me. This was the second time I saw Felicia in this state of mind. It was a great reminder of recognizing the true piece's of who she was. She was blunt and sassy; but there was more. Felicia could be vulnerable. I would never say that to her openly. She'd take it offensively.

All we could do was hope and wait. We both needed a distraction. "You have family...?" I shut my mouth, wanting to smack myself for the sensitive question. I know the last thing I'd want to do is talk about family in this predicament. Not knowing if they were safe would drive me mad. I was only driving Felicia to new concerns or reminding her of the old.

For the last ten minutes, Felicia sat crouched on the balls of her feet, knees tucked into her chest. Felicia stood up, shaking both her legs to bring back strong circulation. She pursed her lips, shrugging. "Don't we all have someone? Maybe not family. Best friends. A favorite neighbor." Felicia never looked up, keeping her eyes down at the floor.

I thought about what she said. Felicia made sense. There were people out there I cared about. My daughter cared about. I sighed.

"I only had my grandmother to take care of. As you know...that didn't work out." Felicia snorted. There was no humor in her eyes; only pain. "I lack the ability to protect. I'd be dead right now if not for Tris."

"And she'd be dead now if not for her little brother." Felicia took notice to my smile and nodded with a small grin.

"You think Tris is okay?" Felicia asked, wariness laced in her voice.

Madison walked over to Felicia. "What attracts you to Tris?"

Felicia looked at me, not sure of my motives to the question I asked. I widen my eyes, indicating that I was very much interested in an answer.

Snorting softly, Felicia shook her head. "Okay," she gave in. Felicia crossed her arms over her breast. "Tris knows how to use the right amount of arrogance. And...that arrogance is tied with more than confidence but a need to do her best. Whatever that best may be. She's too stubborn to give people what they want. And, even if she wants it, she'll get it on her own time."

I smiled. "That's a good way to describe her." I was impressed Felicia recognized all of that in Tris in such a short time. "Than you know the answer to your own question. She is going to get herself in trouble. Its her natural ability. But...she's far to stubborn and determined. Her brother is her world."

Felicia kept her eyes on me.

"What?"

"I like you too. So you know."

I rolled my eyes. I headed across to the shower room to check on the girls.

"I like you...because..." not sure why, I stopped, listening to what Felicia would say. I did keep my back to her... "you aren't easy. Not that Tris is easy. She put up a fight. But...you have such a strong patience. You don't just react. You listen and take things in. You may not like how things are in the beginning or who you're around but you adapt. And I feel like...if I can get you to fall for me...I have succeeded in life."

Turning, Felicia was only a foot from me. My skin flushed from lack of distance. I wasn't expecting such strong honest words. Felicia was officially going to be a woman who'd cause trouble for me. Tris had been trouble since the beginning and I was finally willing to give into her. Doesn't mean I would give into Felicia. There was no way I could be with two women at one time. That seemed too complicated. Perhaps, If life was different I'd actually consider dating someone like Felicia. She was beautiful.