Percy IX

An eerie silence filled the room. The only sound in the room was the ticking of the clock and Percy’s soft uneven breathing. Annabeth was standing beside Sally, who was crouching down, at eye-height with her dozing son. Percy’s eyebrows, like before,  were creased, and the fear and terror was still shown evidently on Percy’s face.

“He seems to have brightened up ever since you came, don’t you think?” 

Sally laughed miserably. 

“I'm not trying to lower your hopes, Annabeth, but... that's just not possible."

Annabeth smiled sadly. 

“How did you know that he was sick? I didn't ask you to come, because..." Annabeth lost her voice for a moment, gulped, and continued. "I thought Percy wouldn't want you to worry."

Sally didn’t answer immediately, leaving the question just hanging in the air for a few minutes. Suddenly, Percy stirred, moaning uncomfortably. 

“I’m his mother, Annabeth. I know.” 

Sally silently wrapped her hand around Annabeth’s. Sally’s hand was trembling. 

“He’ll be okay. He’s gonna be fine, Annabeth. I know it.” 

Annabeth gave Mrs. Jackson an encouraging smile. 

"I'll just... go out for a while, I want some space, just... Don't get me wrong, Annabeth..."

Annabeth smiled and nodded slightly.

"I understand."

Sally smiled and walked out of the cabin, silently closing the door. Annabeth once again stared at her unconsious boyfriend. Tears were starting to brim at her eyes, feeling safe to do so as she sat alone with her boyfriend. She tightly clutched his hand with her own, droplets of water falling from her grey eyes, as she listened to his soft breathing. 

"Don't..." Percy moaned. "Stop. Don't hurt her. Please." 

"Percy?" Annabeth's head snapped up at his sudden behaviour. "Percy, what's wrong?" 

Percy's green-blue eyes went wide open at her voice. They were dark and unfocused. 

"He's gonna find you, Annabeth." 

"Percy. Calm down." 

"He's going to kill you!" Percy screamed loudly, trembling furiously. Annabeth put her hands around Percy's body.

"Whose 'he'?"

Percy grabbed he bedsheets beside him uncomfortably, and opened his mouth as if to say something.

"I don't know who he is either, but I..."

Percy stopped dead in his tracks as the voice started to talk in his own head again, the memory flashing behind his eyes. 

"If you tell anyone about me," the man hissed, as he slowly carved a long deep gash on Percy's left shoulder with a blunt dagger. Percy winced slightly, biting down an ear-splitting scream. "I will kill her.

"Please stop picking on her." Percy begged, his breathing uneven, with a bead of sweat rolling down his forehead. "She shouldn't be involved with this. And I don't even know what's going on. Who are you?" 

The man tutted. 

"Perseus Jackson. You should have known. Some questions, would be answered in time. And I have confidence that you would find out." The man carved the dagger deeper into Percy's skin, causing him to let out a cry of pain. Percy could feel dagger scratching along his shoulder bone. 

"You wouldn't even know whether I tell them about you." Percy said, changing the topic. "Unless you have spies." 

The man laughed.

"Demigods can be so ignorant sometimes.

Th man plunged the dagger deeper, breaking Percy's shoulder bone, as Percy screamed out in agony. The man let out an evil laugh. 

"If you tell anyone, I will do this toher,and she will finally experience your pain.”The man paused for a moment. “Doesn't it hurt, demigod?" 

Percy was shaking in pain. He tried to say something, but seemed to have lost his own voice. He felt a tear roll down his cheek.

"That's right. I knew you wouldn't want me to do that to her." 

Percy curled up and hugged his legs, hoping to mask the trembling.

"Please, don't hurt her." 

"Percy? Are you okay?" A familiar male voice pulled Percy out of his own trance and reality flooded his own senses. 

“Dad?” 

Poseidon and Percy were the only ones in the infirmary. From the window, Percy could see the sun shining brightly in the sky. How many days has he been stuck in here? 

“Hey, you feeling good? When I came in, you were just sitting there, staring at your legs, Annabeth’s pretty freaked out.” Poseidon gave Percy a warm smile while walking closer to Percy. 

“S-Stay away.” Percy started to move backwards, “I’m sorry, please, Dad, stay away.” 

“Percy?” Poseidon asked, confused at the situation. “Percy, what’s wrong?" Poseidon stretched out a hand, wanting to touch Percy's shoulder, but Percy pushed his hand away. 

"Get away from me!" 

Poseidon creased his eyebrows and grabbed Percy's  shoulders harshly. 

"Percy Jackson. This isn't funny. Stop playing around!"

Percy's eyes widened at the sudden physical contact and started to shake in fear again, while tears started spilling out of his eyes. 

"Please don't kill Annabeth. I'd do anything." 

Poseidon raised his eyebrows. 

"Percy, are you okay? I'm not killing anyone. You don't have to worry aboutthat. I’m your dad." 

Shut up!" Percy screamed. "Get away from me!

The door bursted open as Annabeth came running into the infirmary. Poseidon stayed ridged at his spot, too shocked to be able to move.

"Percy!” she cried, rushing to his side, “Percy, what’s wrong?” 

“I don't know. I don't know. Annabeth, what is happening to me?” Percy’s teary eyes looked up into Annabeth’s grey ones. The fear and despair was reflecting through them scared Annabeth to the core, as she helplessly watched her boyfriend shake in fear, hugging his own legs while rocking back and forth like a little boy who had a nightmare. 

Poseidon looked at his own favourite son, his heart aching in a way like a parent felt sadness towards a wounded offspring. 

Percy, he thought.I’m going to stop your afflicted fears no matter what happens. And I’ll find that man who did this to you. I promise. 

Percy trembled slightly, eyes shut tight, the voice continuously repeating itself in his ears, ringing louder and louder each time, as tears of fear ran down his cheeks.

"I will kill her"