Two years later: Why did I have kids?

Alex

It had been two years since we started seeing a specialist about having a baby. Make that several specialists, twelve to be exact. Each one came up with a different scenario, why we weren't pregnant. Each ran tests only to find out there was nothing wrong with either of us that we couldn't conceive. It was frustrating.

Junior was now about two years old, and the definition of the terrible twos didn't even come close to this demon spawn that Jordan affectionately calls him. Frazier and Marissa spent more time yelling at the poor kid to put things down and not to break anything when it always resulted in a crash.

After keeping him one night so that they could have a date night, we learned to put anything breakable away. I honestly thought Ryan would pull his hair out every time we heard a crash. Did I mention that Junior loves to throw his food? Yep, it happened while we tried to feed him. I swear that kid is so his father.

Jordan and Elena were also expecting, much to Elena's delight and Jordan's fear. Jordan's still on the fence about it all and even accused Elena poking holes in the protection to get pregnant. This comment earned him a few nights at our house. Yep, my brother is an idiot.

Jordan did eventually come around to having a child but said if he or she turned out to be like Junior, he was shipping them off to Military school. Poor Jordan, he'll never learn. We have rooms waiting for him or Frazier, or even both. They need to filter their mouths.

Both Ryan's and my job were doing well. That is where I'm at reading over a new novel from a brand original author. I was so engrossed in the book that I didn't hear Ryan knock on the door. He came over and leaned over my shoulder, and in a deep, husky voice said, "Is it signing material?"

That made me jump in my chair. "Jesus! Don't do that!"

"Sorry," Ryan apologized as he shrugged with a grin.

"But to answer your question, yes. The author is great," I said to Ryan.

"I'm glad, but we have a doctor's appointment we have to get to," he said to me.

I sighed. "Do we have to? It's been two years, and it's always the same thing. There is nothing wrong with you, why don't you try this position or this thing."

"I get it, baby. I'm as frustrated as you, but they highly recommend this doctor."

"Fine, but if they even suggest anything like the last doctor I leaving the office," I said, standing up and grabbing my bag. Ryan grabbed my hand and led me out of the office.

We pulled up to a building with the words Dr. Monroe, a fertility specialist. We got out of the car and walked into the building, making our way to the receptionist.

"Can I help you?" She asked us.

"Ryan and Alex Jones, we have a 6:30 pm appointment with Dr. Monroe," he said to her, leaning on the edge of her desk.

"Ah, yes, please have a seat, and the doctor will be with you shortly," she said, a professional tone.

We sat down in two chairs, and I started shaking my legs. I don't know why I was so nervous? Maybe this was because this was our last-ditch effort. Ryan reached over and laid his hand on my legs, making them stop.

The door to the other offices opened with a nurse standing there. "Mr. and Mrs. Jones? The doctor will see you now." She gave us a friendly smile, and we stood up, walking towards her. We followed her till she reached an office and ushered us in, putting a chart in a plastic holder on the wall next to the door.

We walked in and sat down in two chairs in front of the desk, and she closed the door as she walked away. A few minutes later, a gentleman who looked a few years older than us walked into the office wearing a white doctor's coat and had our file in his hands as he flipped through it. He closed the file and dropped on the desk as he took a seat.