Chapter 29

***
Dakota?

I heard a voice ask. I opened my eyes and looked around to see myself at the edge of the pool at the mansion in Portland, Maine. Slowly I turned to look to my right and saw Lindsey standing there looking concerned.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

She neared closer until her face was inches from mine.

Promise me that you'll keep going. That you'll stay alive.

Her words sounded familiar but I couldn't pinpoint where I had heard her say that. Her face grew sad as she looked at me.

And as if on queue I said back, "I promise." And then we kissed. I felt her grip slip away and so did everything else and it was simply replaced by a never-ending darkness.

***

Somewhere off in the distance there was a banging sound. A gunshot went off, and footsteps approached the heavy metal door. They squeaked open slowly, and then a gasp was heard. Ava rushed to the lifeless form all curled up in the middle of the room. She quickly checked for signs of breathing and then went to the wound. Her fingers ripped a chunk of material from her own shirt and she wrapped it tightly around the wound.

Tears were felt streaming down her face and she knew she didn't have long. She tried picking up the form but it was no use. She was too heavy. She slowly shook the other girl careful not get blood all over herself and then she heard it. A small moan escaped the girl's lips and Ava was happy.

***

I moaned a little and tried to open my eyes. They barely even moved when I put all my effort into it. "Dakota?" I heard an angel's voice far off in the distance.

"Huh?" Was all I could manage out of my lips. My eyes finally opened and the only light I could see was from the doorway. It silhouetted a beautiful brown haired girl with brown eyes. That's when I realized that that pretty girl was Ava.

"Wow. You're beautiful." I said in deleriousness. She chuckled a little at me.

"I know. Now c'mon and get up. We have to get out of here." Slowly I got up after much protest of my shoulder and we managed to walk out of the blood soaked room. We went down the hallway and I saw two men laying on the ground dead.

"Did you do that?" I asked her.

"Yeah." She replied trying to push the memory aside.

"You're silly, Ava. Where'd you learn that?" I giggled slightly. The blood loss was getting to me.

"From you, dumbass." She laughed a little despite knowing that I was dying.

We went down the other hallway and then reached a big opening. From there, I could see a pair of double doors with no guards in sight. "There," I pointed, "must be the entrance." Ava nodded and carried me in that direction. We were careful not to make any sounds as we approached the door and then finally we both were able to push it open.

We rushed out and saw that it was dark out. We must've been inside for a long time. Rain was pouring down from the sky and the whole road that led out was completely muddy. We ventured through the mud until a black car pulled up in front of us about 30 feet away. I watched as the one and only man I didn't want to see right now stepped out of the car.

"Dakota. Did you finish the job?" That was the only thing Miller had to say to me after all this time.

"Hell no I didn't. Finish it yourself." Carefully we both went to walk around the car but we both stopped frozen in our tracks. Miller held a gun and was pointing it right at me. I watched him pull the trigger but it didn't hit me this time. It hit someone else. We turned around and saw Tanner Lane with a large scowl on his face.