Chapter 10

The three days went by faster than I had wanted them to. I was growing more anxious the longer I stayed in the town. I was worried about Blank and Miller watching. Always watching.

I jumped out of bed in a cold sweat. The dreams kept getting worse every night. My stomach twisted and I ran to the bathroom and threw up. Afterwards, I leaned against the wall for a moment before climbing up, flushing the toilet, and then taking a shower. Lindsey was still asleep when I got out so I shut the door and headed downstairs without her.

The house was quiet and I realized I would have to make breakfast myself. Quickly, I whipped up some eggs and toast for myself and I heard quiet footsteps coming down the stairs. Lindsey rounded the corner and yawned. I handed her a plate full of food and we ate in silence.

After about half an hour we got up and left the house. My parents came down the stairs as we left and I told them goodbye. We got in the Jaguar and headed to Ava's house. Making her a part of this felt wrong. She didn't belong with us on this crazy rollercoaster. I was worried that she would get killed in the process.

I shook the thought from my mind as I watched her step out of the her house and get into the back of the car. Everyone was silent for the longest time. That is, until we got to a black gate in the front of a giant mansion.

"Dang." Ava said.

"Exactly." I replied. Lindsey said something into the intercom and the gates swung open in all their glory. I took a deep breath as Lindsey stepped on the gas and into the driveway we went.

"Wait, why are we here again?" Ava asked. I rolled my eyes. I told her earlier not to ask questions. Lindsey cut her eyes at me and then answered Ava.

"This guy's our biggest buyer. Apparently he didn't receive his shipment so now he's pissed and we came here to clear things up."

Ava nodded in response. We got out of the car and stood in front of the looming house. It was a giant mansion with a fountain in the front it. "Nice." Lindsey said, drawing out the word.

"Let me do the talking." I said as we stepped up to the front door and knocked. "Be my guest." Lindsey mumbled.

A man in a suit answered the door. He was easily above six feet tall and had dark brown hair and green eyes that could almost break your soul in half. "You must be Jessica Greenwick. And you, Lindsey Nelson, correct?" His voice was deep and it matched his appearance. "But I've never seen you before." He craned his neck to see Ava.

I gave her a look signaling for her to tell him her name. "Ava Williams." She put her hand out for him to shake and he simply gave a laugh and turned around signaling us to follow.

"So you're Daniel Pierce."

"That I am." He said. He led us to a living room not far from the front door and we all sat across from him.

"Usually I don't deal with clients and shipments so I apologize in advance if something... goes wrong."

His face twisted into a smirk. "Drinks anyone?" Before we could answer him a bottle of wine was sat on the table. He poured four glasses and handed each one to us individually.

I couldn't let this drag on any longer. "So what happened? Can you please clear things up."

He sat back and looked off in thought. His mere presence was enough to take my breath away. No wonder he was our top buyer. "I asked for shipment C to be directly taken to my home. Skip the middle man. The problem is that it never arrived at my home."

"Did you track it down?"

"Yes. In fact it was sold by the manufacturer to another man."

"And what would you like me to do about it?" I asked.

"Well you're the dealer. Take care of it. I paid top dollar for that shipment."

"And that's it?"

He paused. "Certainly not." I raised my eyebrows to signal him to continue. "Your men tried to attack me just last week. Kill them."

I looked at him confused. "My men? Are you sure?"

"Who else has a tattoo on the forearm of an eagle?" That was the symbol of my gang. "So in return, I want you to get rid of them. Do whatever it takes to find them and eliminate them. They killed two of my bodyguards."

"You must be mistaken. I would never let my men do that."

"Oh really? Then who did?" I thought for a moment. Then I realized who. It must have been Tanner Lane. He's the only rival gang leader who had ever tried to oppose me.

"More than likely it was Lane. Can we work out another deal?" He smirked at me and then cut his eyes at Lindsey and then Ava. They came to rest on me. I immediately understood.

"Ava, Lindsey, please wait by the car." Lindsey stood up and left while Ava gave me a look of fear before leaving as well.

"Now. Where were we?" Daniel said.

"I'm not killing my men for you. More than likely they weren't even mine. And that shipment? I don't know why the manufacturer would have sold it to someone else. I always check on the last day to see that everyone was getting the right shipment."

"Well obviously you should have checked again." I heard fire in his voice. "I paid for that shipment and it never came. And those men were definitely yours. You can't deny it!" His voice grew quiet. It seemed like he had the mind of a crazy person. It was definitely the withdrawal speaking. "I will not let you tell me I'm wrong."

He pulled out a gun and pointed it at me. "Fix your mistake, Jessica. I am a powerful man with a short temper and packed schedule. I don't have time to argue. Get out." He motioned with his gun toward the door. I stood up and turned to leave, but not before having the last say.

"I will get you your shipment Mr. Pierce, but if you blame one more thing on my gang for something I didn't do I will make sure you never make another threat again."

I heard a shot go off behind me. "Get out of my house!" He yelled and then grew calm. "You threaten me lightly Jessica. Next time you do, this gun will put a bullet in your head." I made my way away from him and to the door. As I was walking out I saw a note by the door. It read:

Dear Pierce, your shipment has been sold. I suggest you talk to Jessica Greenwick while I sit here with your drugs. Regards, New Owner of Shipment C

I stared at it in confusion for a second. "Get out!" He yelled again. I walked out briskly and slammed the door shut leaving the note where it was.

Ava and Lindsey met me by the door with a worried expression plastered onto both their faces. "What happened?" Ava asked.

"Nothing. Get in the car. I have a phone call to make."