Chapter 12

The two weeks went by faster than I wanted them to. I was growing anxious the longer I stayed in one place. I wasn't used to settling down and I had a feeling neither did Lindsey. She started growing fidgety at the dinner table and didn't talk as much as before when she first arrived.

Blank hadn't said a word to me since I hung up on him that day we dealt with the angry client, Daniel Pierce. I was worried that Tanner Lane had done something serious to him. Or worse, the gang wasn't even mine anymore.

Today happened to be the day that I was ordered to stop Lane's shipments from South America. It would be too much fun, but I was still nervous. The more we messed with him the angrier he would become. And I had no clue if he had kidnapped Blank or not. We were playing a tight game of chess.

And I had no idea what piece he'd move next.

I called Ava to come over to the house and told her about what was going to go down that night. She agreed on the plan we had and then we simply waited until nighttime. Thankfully, both of my parents were working and it happened to be summertime so Ava didn't have to work at the school. It was a sunny Thursday. Retribution day.

We played games on the PS4 I bought for everyone until it was time to go. The sun was setting in all its brilliance as we got into the blue Jaguar and headed for the docks. Our town happened to be fairly close to the Pacific Ocean. Only about a half hour from the water.

We pulled into a parking garage, parked and then geared up. I pulled out a glock and Ava looked horrified. "Relax. I probably won't have to use it. Right now we're just going in, paying them off to send it to my manufacturer and if that doesn't work, then we kill them and call up someone to take it to my manufacturer. Simple."

"Simple? Jeez, that sounds complicated."

"Let me do the talking like before. Lindsey! You ready?" We watched her put on her bullet proof vest under her shirt that we had already put on ourselves and then she nodded and shut the trunk. We walked away from the car and proceeded to the docks.

All was quiet except for the occasional lapping of water on the wooden pillars of the dock. And then we saw it. Far off in the distance there was a light. It flickered and moved across the horizon. "There it is." I said. We sat down on a bench and waited. I felt us all growing anxious.

Finally, it arrived and docked itself. We proceeded towards it cautiously. Me at the front, Ava at the back and Lindsey in the middle. A flashlight hit my eyes and I was blinded momentarily. "Who are you!" A man yelled in a thick Spanish accent.

"Relax. Can you please shine the light lower?" He did as I said and I was met by a scruffy looking man with bloodshot eyes. That's how I knew that what I was looking for was on the boat.

"I asked, who are you?!" He yelled again.

"My name is Jessica Greenwick. I'm here to make you an offer on your shipment."

He motioned for us to come aboard. "What kind of offer are you making?"

"I'll pay you double what your original offer was for the shipment."

"That will be a lot of money."

"So? I have it. You need it. Let's trade."

"Eh, I no make deal."

"Why not?" I asked.

"You are not Mister Lane."

"Why does it matter?"

He thought for a moment. "Fine. I will make a deal." Lindsey silently rolled her eyes.

"Good. Double?"

"Double." He said.

We exchanged information and the deal was made. "Oh and one more thing. Can we continue this deal from now on? You start providing for me instead of Mister Lane?"

I watched his mind wrap around the idea. Then a light bulb went off in his head. "Sure." And the final deal was made.

Number 2: Stop the shipments.

Done.

We stepped off the boat and I was happy it went so well. Then I heard it.

"Yes... yes... Jessica Greenwick. Yes."

I froze in place and turned around. He was giving me an odd grin. I realized that he called his dealer, Tanner Lane. We were in trouble.

"Lindsey. Do it." She clicked a button and the whole boat exploded. They wouldn't dare to mess with us again. I believed that the shipments would still be stopped. Or at least they would never come back to this dock ever again. The whole thing was on fire.

Lindsey had planted a bomb on the boat while everyone was talking. She was always the one to come up with the clever ideas. "That wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but I guess we had to. Tanner has his people on a tight rope. We need to be careful." I said.

We walked away from the burning docks and made our way back to the parking garage. Quickly we got into the car and got the heck out of there. I had never driven that fast in my life. It seemed like everything was going wrong.

Blank was acting weird. It seemed like Tanner knew we were coming. It seemed almost as if Miller was playing games with me. I was confused.

We got home at 3 AM and crashed. I was anxious and felt stressed over everything. The bed just felt so nice to lay in and relax for once. My bed at the mansion wasn't even this nice. Lindsey climbed in bed with me and I wrapped my arms around her. I heard her giggle a little and turned to look at her. Those brown eyes sparkled in the rising sun and made my stomach flip.

"You're so gay." She said.

"You think? Why else would I be marrying the most beautiful girl in the world?"

She giggled at me. "I don't know, maybe the money?"

I gave her a look. "Really? I have enough money to buy sixteen mansions and then burn them and buy sixteen more."

"You're so violent."

"I know." I said getting even closer to her. "That's why you love me."

"And the fact that you couldn't get any gayer."

"Only for you sweety. Only for you..." My words drifted off as I closed my eyes and fell asleep. My thoughts ceased to race when Lindsey was there beside me. She was the only comfort I could find in such a cold world.