Chapter 15

***
I watched the school website as Marcus started messing up all the words and pictures on his screen. He started laughing after putting some dirty photos all over the home page. "Good one!" I yelled from across the room at him. He looked at me and winked.

"Hurry, Dakota!"

"Okay okay. Chill!" I smirked and plugged the cord into the power grid. The billboard on the football field lit up with the words, "Holden HS: Holden your kids in prison since 1995".

"Ha ha! Classic Dakota! Especially since they put those bars on the windows in the art room!" We started laughing. The high school here sucked. I was surprised that day when someone broke into the art room and then later in the week they put bars on the windows. Like we didn't already feel like we were in prison every day. I guessed that they wanted the full effect.

"Best senior prank ever." Marcus said. We fist bumped and walked outside the computer lab. Once out, we had to dodge all the yarn wrapped around all the lockers. The yarn stretched from one side of the hall to the other. All the hallways were in the same order. We had put post-it notes all over the floor to make a big 2016 on the floor outside and in. We had even stuck wet (now dry) paper towels to the ceiling that would take forever to get off.

"One last thing." We ran to the front of the school and just as we were about to drive away I took out my phone and "activated the lights". The whole school lit up to make 2016. We fist bumped again and then drove away. "No one will ever forget this."

"Yeah! Especially with yours and my hacking skills." I said. Marcus nodded and laughed. I watched as the sun came over the horizon. A new day. Starting... now.

***

I woke up slowly that morning. It was Monday already and I felt great. Lindsey started to stir beside me and then opened her eyes and looked at me. "Ugh, what time is it?" She asked.

I glanced at the clock beside the bed. "Nine." That elicited a groan out of her before I laughed and got up dragging her with me. "Come on. Time to go back to my hometown. There's a deal to make." I had explained to Lindsey what was happening the night before. She wouldn't stop asking me and I had to tell her to make her shut up.

We quickly got dressed and took showers before grabbing our two little bags and heading to the front door. "Damn, I'm gonna miss this place." She said.

"Ha ha! We're coming back in a week or two. Chill out. It's our house by the way." She rolled her eyes at me and then left the house. I locked the door on the way out.

We made it to the airport and took the earliest flight out of Maine. I decided to get two first class tickets for Lindsey and I to live a little more in the lap of luxury. When we sat down Lindsey gave me a look. "Don't get cocky with the money now, Dakota."

"But you know you like the luxury." I nuzzled her shoulder and smirked.

"Whatever." She whispered rolling her eyes.

The flight was finally over a few hours later and we were only minutes away from the motel. We decided to get dropped off at a gas station down the street to go fully undercover and to not draw attention to ourselves when we arrived. I stayed outside to smoke a cigarette while Lindsey went in and got some food for tonight. As I stood there I spotted an orange pick up truck in the corner of the lot.

I thought to myself for a second before smirking.

"Dakota!" Lindsey yelled as she exited the store. I turned on the truck with the keys I found in the visor and pulled over in front of the store.

"You coming?" I asked. She looked the truck over and then shook her head and got in. She punched me lightly on the arm before laughing. I drove off and before I knew it, we were at the motel. We got room 103 right beside where the manufacturer would be. It was almost dinner time when we got to the room so Lindsey and I decided to eat the chips and salsa she got from the gas station.