Chapter 5

We both woke up early and decided to pay Carlos a little visit before a full 48 hours went by. Neither one of us wanted to wait any longer. My knuckles tapped on the front door harshly and a moment later he answered the door looking a little scared. "Here! Just take it and leave!" He shoved a briefcase in my face and looked around outside quickly before closing the door and leaving us standing outside. Lindsey started laughing and I joined in too.

We turned around and went back to the house. When we got back my parents were awake and had breakfast on the table. I went upstairs to drop off the briefcase and came back down to find Lindsey enjoying my parents' company. "Hey Dakota! We should get your parents a new car."

"No we don't need a new car." My mom said. "I'm happy with the van. We've had it for forever."

"Are you sure?" I asked. "Money is not an issue here."

"Yeah I know all about that." My dad said. I stared at him confused. And then it hit me. He was standing on the stairs. That's why I never heard the door open and close signaling his descent. "You eavesdropped." I said plainly.

"Yeah. I was just worried about my daughter. I haven't seen you in a year and this strange, but nice, girl shows up and you start acting weird. I'm just worried." I believed what he said.

"So is it true you're playing with so much money?" He asked. I saw mischief in his eyes and a hint of amusement.

"Yes dad. That's why I'm offering to buy you guys a car."

"I'm all for it then." My dad said.

"Ray!" My mom gave him a stare and then shook her head playfully before going and putting the dishes away.

"Pick a car for us. I trust you. You seem to know your way around the car industry." He said. "And the drug industry." He coughed out. I laughed at him. My mom was just oblivious. I looked at the time and almost jumped off the couch. "I'm going shopping with my friend today, Lindsey."

"Okay. I'll just follow you around."

"Um, I don't think I want her to know I have a fiancée."

"Oh. Well then I'll go look for a car for Mr. and Mrs. Greene."

"Alright. See you back here later today." I said. And with that, we departed and I went to meet Leanne and Lindsey went to look for a car.

I walked to Leanne's house and we took her car to the mall. It was a little red beetle and I loved it. When we got there we decided to look in all the stores. As we went, Leanne passed in front of a jewelry store and admired a beautiful crystal purse.

"Oh I would love to have that." I looked at her and smiled and then dragged her into the store. The only one there was on display. "Do you want it?"

"Heck yeah." She looked at me and realized what I was thinking. "You're not going to get it are you?"

"Well if you want it, I'll get it for you. It's only right that I get you something after getting up and disappearing for a year." She stared at me in shock and then shook her head.

"You're not getting it. It's" She looked at the price. "Freaking 1000 dollars!" She walked away from it and we looked through the rest of the store. I kept watching her glancing at it and finally I just laughed at her and picked it up and took it to the cash register. "You didn't have to do that." She said looking down as we walked out.

"Yeah I did. You wanted it. I bought it. Simple."

"How did you even get so much money?"

I smirked at her. "I have my ways. If you think a thousand dollars is a lot then you'll be surprised to see my house. Though I do share it with someone." I looked off in thought.

"Wait. You have a roommate?"

"Something like that." I looked down and we kept walking. Finally we decided to eat and got chinese food in the food court. We sat down and talked forever about all sorts of things. I enjoyed her company, that was for sure. I watched as a girl sat at a table beside us and I sighed.

"Go away." I said, not making eye contact.

"What?" Leanne looked at me confused.

"Not you. Her." I pointed at the blonde haired girl beside her. "You're supposed to be looking for a car." She took off her sunglasses and looked me in the eye.

"I already got one. I just wanted to check up on you guys, relax." I rolled my eyes at her, clearly annoyed.

"Who's this?" Leanne asked, still confused.

"Dakota, you are really bad at introducing me to people. Jesus. Hi I'm Lindsey. Dakota's fiancée." Leanne looked at her shocked.

"Really? Your fiancée? Damn, someone got settled down early." We all laughed.

"This one just really wanted to marry me." I said. We all sat in the food court and talked for a while and then left the mall. I went with Lindsey in the blue Jaguar she bought my parents and said goodbye to Leanne. I told her I'd see her again before I had to leave.

We made it back to my house and my parents came out and stared at the car. My mom hugged me and thanked me and my dad didn't know what to say. Lindsey and I fist bumped and then we all went inside. My mom told me we had a guest over for dinner. A new friend of theirs. So she fixed even more food for all of us. She was busy in the kitchen while my dad, Lindsey, and I talked in the living room until the guest arrived. And when they did, I was a little taken aback to say the least.