𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Start from the beginning

"Wait," Dean says, leaning over her shoulder to peer at the thin pages of the phone book. "Missouri Moseley?"

Katherine's eyes move upwards, her lashes tangling with her fair feathered fringe. "Uhhyeah."

"That's a psychic?"

"Well it says it right here, Dean—" She sighs, watching him move for the back of the car, walking away from her as she talks. "I hate when he does that," she grumbles, mostly to herself, but Sam chuckles, twisting with her to eyeball his brother.

"Dad's journal," Dean says to the other two, reaching into the backseat, and holds up the old brown leather thing. He moves to the other two, opening the book up. "First page, first sentence." He thrusts the journal between Katherine and Sam, holding it so they can read.

"'I went to Missouri and I learned the truth,'" Katherine hums. "Well I'm guessing he doesn't mean the state."

"Guess not."

"Who goes to Missouri for anything, y'know?" She continues. "I mean, the only thing they have going for them is that gooey butter cake—" Her eyes flit from an amused Sam to an impatient Dean, and she cuts herself off, her shoulders slumping as she deflates. "So, I...guess we're going to Missouri." She shuts the book and hands it to Dean, looking a little defeated and sheepish. One eye is shut, the other squinting, in the sun. Her nose is wrinkled, lips shifted to the side. "Sorry."

It was nearly an hour wait for the psychic named Missouri. Dean was shifting in his seat, anxious and agitated, and Sam curiously thumbed through a magazine while Katherine hummed to herself. Dean glared at her once for it, and she just stared at him, humming still. Louder too, perhaps, just to annoy him.

Like a little sister.

"—your wife is crazy about you!" The hunters look up to the left as a middle-aged woman escorts an older man out of the front of the home. She lets out a sigh, shutting the door, and looks to the three. "Poor bastard," she says, leaning her hand up against the frame, and starts away. "That woman is cold-banging the gardener."

Dean is only somewhat amused. "Why didn't you tell him?"

"People don't come here for the truth," she tells him, but glances to all three hunters. "They come for good news." She starts away again, stops, and turns around. "Well? Sam and Dean, I ain't got all day, and neither does that pretty flower next to you." Missouri starts into the back of the house as the brothers look to Katherine, whose lips are moving with words that just won't form. She looks to Sam, then Dean.

"Wuh—I, uh..." Katherine taps her fingers on the armrests, clears her throat, and quickly follows after Missouri.

"Well let me look at you boys!" The Winchesters are suddenly in front of Katherine, and what with their height, you wouldn't even know the blonde girl was behind them. She sighs, sidestepping to fit around Sam's right. "Oh, you boys grew up handsome!" She points to Dean. "And you were one goofy-lookin' kid, too!" Katherine contains a snort and looks down to the toes of her boots. "Sam," the woman sighs, taking his hand. Her brow furrows. "Oh, honey—I'm sorry about your girlfriend." Sam's smile drops. It's almost as if Katherine can sense it when it does. She looks up, even-faced, at Sam, then Missouri. "And your father...he's missing?"

Katherine blinks quickly and leans forward a bit. "How'd you know that?" She asks.

"Well he was thinking it, just now."

Katherine is astounded. Her head jerks back a bit and her eyes open a bit wider than usual, more questions raised than answered with Missouri's response. Dean has different inquiries, though. "Where is he? Is he okay?"