Chapter 13

A/N:
Thanks for reading guys!!

(America's POV)

Oh gosh. I was so nervous for the Report today. Hopefully, Maxon would go easy on me. My maids had excitedly told me last night that all of the Help was saying that I was Maxon's favorite. I was starting to grow, um, feelings for him? I don't know. While my maids dressed me that morning, I didn't even pay attention. I happened to remember that the soldier recruitments had arrived today. Not that it directly affects me or anything. Yesterday I had asked Maxon if we could go on a date today to the movies or something, but he told me that he couldn't because he was super busy. I wasn't surprised-I mean, he is the prince after all. After my maids finish dressing me, I head down to the dining room. Marlee isn't there yet, but Kriss and I actually have a deep conversation about something other than the castle life.
"So, America, what's your life like at home?" She asked me. At first I was dumbfounded that she even bothered to talk to me because we'd rarely ever talked while we were at the palace. But then I thought to myself that the girls were probably just trying to get to know each other, since there's a lot less of us now.
"Oh, it's um, fine really. I play instruments for a living and I sing at concerts, too. I have a younger sister and we used to play together a lot-"
"Hey! I have a younger sister too!" She interrupted.
"How old is she?" I asked.
"9," Kriss responded.
"What's her name?" Normally, I may have faked interest so I didn't appear rude. But right now I was actually genuinely interested. Kriss seemed like a great girl, so why couldn't I be friends with her? Couldn't hurt.
"Kallia," she told me. It was a unique name, and..
"That's a beautiful name! Do you guys look alike?" She chuckled at this and said,
"We are practically polar opposites! We don't look alike, do the same things, have the same talents..." She trails off.
"I can totally relate to you. My sister and I look very alike, but the similarities stop there." Just then, Maxon and his parents walk in. To the maids it seems to have signaled that breakfast is served. It's very divine, as usual, but it seems more so than usual. I look over at Maxon and see him winking at me. Soon, dessert comes out. I have to hold in a gasp of delight when strawberry tarts are placed on the table. That's truly the only dessert that excites me. Then, I feel as if someone is staring at me. Turns out that Maxon was smiling so wide at me. I grin and (probably) blush back at him. After this, the breakfast table is swept clean and Silvia walks in. Oh, joy.
"Girls, you must be on your best behavior at the Report and remember, just be yourselves! Do you understand?"
"Yes, Silvia," we all chorus back at her. All of us start to walk toward where the Report is being held. I purposely walk slow because I'm trying to fix my dress before I get on camera. Suddenly, I'm pulled into someone's arms. I consider screaming for help until his brown eyes appear.
"Don't scare me like that! I thought you were a rebel or something!!" I 'scold' him. He smiles and tells me,
"We should have a signal or something for each other so we can know when we want to talk to each other."
"Yes, definitely, but what could we do?" I ask him.
"We could, uh, run our fingers through our hair?" I snort slightly at this idea.
"Definitely NOT. With the amount of hairstyles my maids do on me, it probably wouldn't work. And plus, it might make your crown fall off." Maoxn laughs at that one then suggests,
"Hmmm... We could, I don't know, itch our nose or something?"
"Too weird and too obvious. How about we tug our ear?" It seems rational to me.
"Perfect! We'll do that. Now, we better run to the Report or we'll be late!" No, I wouldn't want to be late, I think, Silvia would get so mad. When I get there, the seats are assigned. Celeste shoots me a dirty look and asks,
"Where were you? You're late!" First of all, I was only a minute late, and second, it's none of your business, I thought. I actually said,
"I was fixing my dress, Celeste." She rolls her eyes but at least she shuts her mouth. I noticed that I was third to be interviewed. Why, oh why did I have to be one of the first people?? Elise was first and Tiny was second. I didn't really pay attention to their interviews except for the fact that Maxon kept winking at me. Finally, I gave in and smiled back. Soon, Gavril called me up, saying,
"And now we have the lovely Lady America!" The crowd roars and I notice that both the king and queen are smiling genuinely. This boosts my confidence somwhat.
"Lady America, tell us. Do you think that since you are the only five left it hurts your chance of becoming the princess?" Nice, Gavril, I think. Such a predictable question.
"No, no. I don't think Prince Maxon would discriminate like that." Maxon throws me a perfect smile.
"So. How is your stay at the palace, Miss America?" Gavril asks me. Hm. I thought Maxon was interviewing us. I'll have to ask him about it later. Maybe some plans got changed or something.
"It's wonderful! The people are nice, welcoming, and the palace itself is beautiful, but the food.. oh the food is divine!" I say enthusiastically. Gavril laughs heartily and says,
"Yes, the food is quite delicious, if I do say so myself!" The crowd roars with laughter. I smile to try to ease my nervousness. To my surprise, I feel Maxon squeeze my hand in support.
"Now, America, may I ask how much time you spend with the prince?" Oh crap. This could go wrong in so many ways. Hopefully the words come out the way I want them to.
"Well, um, we go out into the gardens a lot. Every other day, maybe?-" Biggest understatement of the year-"And occasionally we just stay in my room and talk." The other girls gasp as they process that I just said we hang out every other day. But right now, I could care less. Maxon squeezes my hand again and gives me another encouraging smile.
"Last question, Miss Singer. Have you kissed the one and only Prince Maxon yet?" I squeeze my eyes shut and wonder why Gavril had to ask that question. The only thing I get from Maxon is a mouthed 'good luck.' I silently groan and say,
"Yes." Plain and simple, no explanation. Thank goodness. I look over to the king and queen again. They are both smiling proudly, holding each other's hands.
"Okay, well everybody, that was Miss America Singer!!" He lets the crowd cheer before calling up the next girl. I don't even pay attention to the rest of the girls' interviews because I keep thinking, why oh why did Gavril have to ask that question?? WHY???? Instead of waiting for the other girls to leave, I rush out of the room and through the corridors. I don't want to see anyone right now. I am so mortally embarressed. I run to my room and close the door. All I'm doing is thinking to myself when suddenly someone knocks at my door. I know it's not Maxon, as he would probably still be on stage. The person at the door says,
"America? Are you there?" The voice seems oddly familiar...

Thanks for reading!! Please comment, vote, follow!!!