Chapter 4

Ok I am going to have a lot of free time tomorrow so maybe I will post another chapter or 2. Thanks to everybody who's read so far!! And important announcement: I am just going to switch between America and Maxon's POV each chapter unless I get recommendations in the comments!!!

(America's POV)

I groan inwardly as I wake up from my peaceful sleep. I was still in the hospital bed and I noticed that King Clarkson had made his way over and looked at me with concern.
"Are you ok?" He asks.
"Yes, just a little shaken."
"Are you feeling well yet? Because if you are Silvia is requesting you in the Ladies' Room as soon as you're well."
"I'm fine. I'll go." I tell him and then try to flash a convincing smile. I hope it doesn't come out too fake looking. The only reason I want to go down to the ladies room is that I want to talk to Marlee. She was practically an instantaneous friend. I was really looking forward to seeing her. On my way to my room, I see the prince. As soon as he sees me, visible concern is etched on his face.
"Are you ok? I heard you were in the, uh, accident."
"I'm fine. I was just heading to my room to get ready for today, if you'll excuse me." I smile, again, hoping it looks real. As I continue on my way back to my room, I wonder why he looked so shocked before he saw me. Did he find out what happened yet? I wonder if he knows who was behind the 'attack'. As soon as I get to my room, my maids rush over to me and start tackling me with questions.
"Are you ok miss? What happened? Are you staying? What happened to your arm? Will it be ok?"
I smile, a real one this time, at my maids. They are truly the best. I answer, "Yes, a lot, yes, it broke, yes."
They look relived and start to get to work on dressing me. They put me in a pale blueish gown that shimmers when I move. It reaches my ankles and fits tight around my waist. From there it flairs out slightly. It brings out my ocean blue eyes and my flame red hair. Anne puts me in some gorgeous white heels while Lucy does my hair.
"I think we are going to do something fancy, but not over the top. What do you think, Mary?"
"I like that idea!! It'll look nice." She responds.
When they are finished, I take a look at the clock. Just in time for breakfast. I rush down to the Ladies' Room. The second I open the door the queen beams proudly.
"Everybody! Listen up! This is America Singer!" I stand there, confused, as a few girls gawk at me. Marlee looks extremely proud.
"You survived the blast!!!" She takes one look at my arm and her smile drops.
"Oh my gosh. What happened?" She asked. I sighed. This was like the gazillionth time I was asked today.
"It broke." I said simply. The rest of the girls went back to talking to whomever they were talking to. Celeste sent me one of her famous snarls. But just as quickly as it came on her face, it dropped. I turned around and quickly noticed why. Prince Maxon had arrived.
"Hello, ladies. Today I am going to get to know you for the first time. I will be calling you up individually in alphabetical order to get to know you all personally." He calls up the first girl and winks at me. Why'd he do that? Marlee turns and looks at me.
"Are you nervous?"
"No." I answer.
"How could you not be nervous! We are meeting Prince Maxon for the first time and you aren't nervous??" She pretends to look at me jealously and I laugh. Marlee was really energetic. It really cheered me up. I was tempted to tell her about last night's encounter, before the explosion, when I was talking to Maxon. I didn't though, in fear that she might actually get jealous for real. After the first two girls are up, Prince Maxon calls me over. This is it, I think. This is where I get eliminated. He holds a strained smile on his face when the girl before me leaves but when I come over it is replaced with a genuine smile. "America, right?"
"Yes. I think I know your name, but could you remind me?" I ask, jokingly. He laughs out loud and quietly asks how I slept.
"Fine fine, after I calmed down a bit. The bed was so cozy. B-before the explosion, I mean." He didn't make any comment on that as he continued. He started to fidget slightly, and then said,
"You've been upfront about how you clearly don't want to be here at the palace. But I have a question.. Is there any possibility of you ever... having loving feelings toward me?" I fidgeted a lot at that question. I thought a little. This was really awkward.
"You are kind and generous, and handsome." I said, trying not to hurt his feelings. He grinned at that.
"But for valid reasons, I don't think so." His face feel, but I could tell he was desperately trying to conceal it.
"Would you explain?" He asked kindly.
"I um, my heart belongs to someone else.. or did.." I whimper the last part so quietly so that he can't hear it. Tears threaten my eyes and Maxon looks genuinely worried.
"Don't cry! I don't know what to do when women cry!" He says. I laugh heartily at that one, and any traces of tears I had disappeared. Maxon continues,
"Would you like me to send you home to your special one?" He asks, kindly.
"The thing is.. I need to be here. My family needs the money and this would be a gift for them. And plus, there's certain people I don't want to see at home right now anyway."
"Do you need the money?"
"Yes.." I say rather sheepishly.
"However, I'll offer you a trade." I say.
"Really?"
"Yes. If you let me stay, well, I could help you. We could be friends and we could talk and help each other."
"I will definitely take you up on that offer." He says, smiling.
"Can I please call you my dear?"
"No." I say stubbornly. He bursts out laughing. After he finished talking to all the girls, he turns to all of us and says,
" If I call your name, stay behind. If not, please go with Silvia to go eat breakfast." My name wasn't called so I followed Silvia and the 26 other girls besides myself into the breakfast room. I wondered when he was going to do eliminations. When he walked into the room, I braced myself for my elimination.
"Ladies, the girls I just talked to were asked to leave. That leaves 27 of you." And with that, the worried face he had on in the hall earlier returns and he heads out the door. There's only one thing on my mind right now: He didn't eliminate me!!!!!

I hope you liked the chapter! I tried to make it a little longer but i will be updating tomorrow or even later tonight. Please recommend a POV. And don't worry, I will definitely explain the security camera thing the next chapter that's in Maxon's POV.

Comment, Vote, Recommend a POV!!!