Chapter 10

A/N:
Thank you to everybody who gave me their feedback. I appreciate it. The consensus I came up with was that Aspen comes into the story as a guard, but not guarding America's room. What do you guys think??? Let me know!

(Maxon's POV)

I hesitantly backed away. I had kissed her on impulse and I hadn't even thought about it. It was probably the worst kiss in the history of ever.
"I-I'm sorry.. I couldn't help it. Um." America cuts me off by doing a sweeping motion on her head.
"We can erase the memory." She said simply.
"W-What?" I'm still stumbling like an idiot and I can't help it. What has love done to me???
"We can erase the memory and redo it." She said again. I didn't understand until she went on her tippy toes and waited for me to fill the gap. I did, and this kiss felt more, I don't know, special. It was more gentle, yet sparks flew anyway. Eventually, America pulled away slowed and sighed contentedly. I looked her in the eyes. What I was about to say would take a lot of bravery to do, but I was willing to risk it.
"Do you, um, think there's a, um chance of.. um.."
"Us? Yes Maxon, I think there's a chance of us." I try to hold down the smile that's about a mile wide. I don't want to seem too, I don't know.. pushy or something. Suddenly there's a knock on her door. It must be her maids or something. I looked at America again, who seemed happy.
"I'll see you around, Lady America."
"And you, Your Majesty." I smile at our joking around with the formality. I open the door, and, just as I predicted, America's maids are waiting there.
"I hope we weren't interrupting anything or something, um, there was just-" I interrupt the maid named Lucy and say,
"It's fine. We were done anyway." She smiles shyly at me as I leave. While I walk through the corridors, I feel like soaring. America just admitted that we were more than just friends!! Of course, now I would have to kiss the other girls on their dates, too, to make it seem fair. Why was this Selection so darn complicated?!? Ugh. I sigh to myself as I go down to the Ladies' Room. Only a few girls are there, and I think to myself, I may as well just get this over with. Take one of the girls on a date and kiss them so it was fair. Ugh. I hate how I had to make everything seem fair and equal in this competition. I plaster on my best looking smile and say,
"Elise, can I talk to you?"
"Of course, of course!" She smiles at me but I don't feel like I'm going to melt like I always feel like when America looks at me.
"Would you like to take a stroll around the castle with me?" I asked, trying not to sound fake.
"Yes!" She says with too much cheeriness. I sigh and wonder if she is one of the girls who only wants the crown. Don't get me wrong, I do want this country to have a good queen, but I also want this girl to love me for who I am, and not for my social status. As we walk around the castle, I start to wonder if there's more to Elise than it seems. We go to the balcony and start to chat about the castle life. It's nothing like the conversation I had with America, but I guess I have to make do with what I have. When Elise is done speaking, I look her in the eyes.
"I had a great time today," I lie to her. She doesn't seem to detect my falseness and says,
"Oh yes, me too!" I sigh as I think, here it comes. I have to do it. I lean down slowly and kiss Elise softly. After a moment, I pull away. I didn't feel any sparks or anything, and it just didn't feel.. right. I don't know. Her eyes sparkle as she says,
"I have to go for my lesson with Silvia but I had the time of my life!" Elise then ran back into the castle. I sigh again for what felt like the thousandth time, what I just did with Elise felt wrong. Don't get me wrong, she's a nice girl and all, but I don't think she's the one. Hopefully she doesn't go blabbing to all of the other selected girls about our day. That's when I hear the bell for the rebels. I run into the castle, going to the Safe Room. I see many people do the same. I think to myself, this is bad. I can't keep putting these girls' lives at risk. I'm going to have to do another big elimination soon....

Sorry the chapter was a little short. And don't forget to tell me what you think about what I'm going to do with Aspen. (If you don't know what I'm talking about it's in the top author's note)