Writing Tips | Symbolism Pt. 2 Events

Welcome back! Today we'll be talking about events, including weather and times of day. Sometimes, scenes in books have more meaning than face value. Sunsets, rain, and night are just a few examples of what authors can use to imbue deeper meaning. If you want to create a symbolic event of your own, take the time to describe it - this should let the reader know there could be some symbolism going on here.

WEATHER

RAIN :: it can have two general meanings: rejuvenation or destruction. Either way, it can be used to effectively further the plot.

: rejuvenation : think of rain itself. It washes away the old and heralds the new. If you really want to signify a dramatic transition, a storm could be your best friend. Can also symbolize a rebirth or cleansing. Think of Simba's ascension up Pride Rock at the end, and what that meant for the plot and his character. He has finally come to terms with his role as king as made peace with his father's death. Shortly after, you see the dead landscape washed away, replaced with a lush green savanna.

: destruction : rain can lead to floods, mud, and other undesirable conditions. Can symbolize the inner conflict of a character and/or the destruction that can ensue if they don't resolve it.

SNOW :: this, too, can have multiple meanings, depending on how it is used. However, it is often used to convey loneliness, isolation, and death. A good example is Narnia. Remember how the snow was a symbol of the kingdom's misfortune? Or take Frozen. The snow represented Elsa's inner struggles and self-isolation.

FOG :: much like the event itself, it is used to symbolize confusion, oppression, and/or unclear thoughts. You can use a blanket of fog during a point in your book where the future is, well, foggy. In addition, it can be used to represent a certain character's thoughts and attitude.

:: TIMES OF DAY ::

DAWN :: as you might have guessed, dawn is often used to symbolize good stuff. By good stuff, I mean the end of darkness to welcome a new day. In literature, you'll see dawns relating to new life, or hope.

SUNSET :: quite the opposite of dawn, both literally and metaphorically. If dawn is birth, then sunset is death. It frequently means a life/something important is about to end. Why? Because it brings darkness and in literature, darkness = hiss hiss bad

Night :: where the bad things are. People originally weren't adapted to be out at night due to predators and the darkness, so this has influenced its role in books. Represents mystery, misfortune, death...etc... However! It can also convey serenity and peace. Play around with how you can take advantage of night to get your meaning across.

:: SEASONS ::

SPRING :: birth or new beginning. A fresh start, you can say.

SUMMER :: associated with adulthood and reflection. This is the prime of the year and thus tied with joy and fulfillment.

AUTUMN :: when the leaves begin to turn and fall. Think about what that could mean symbolically. Yep - change and the approach of death.

WINTER :: right after autumn and the opposite of summer. It doesn't take a lot of guessing to determine its meaning - hopelessness, death, despair, etc. It shares a lot of its common meaning with snow, so the examples used there apply here too.