{Chapter 23}

Moral: "As you go your way and I go mine, a light will shine. It will be me." ~Melissa Etheridge

As soon as those words left Sophia's lips, Luna Evelyn stood up and rushed outside while Lyric, catching the exact scent of the one she was looking for so many years simply jumped down from the balcony in a flawless manner. She didn't even give herself time to recuperate because the rustic smell of blood entered her nostrils.

Her heart and stomach exchanged places as she pushed herself to run faster than she ever did before. If he was injured, she would not forgive herself. Lyric was a fair thirty yards away from the commotion. The three young teenagers were in their wolf forms and were attacking the Rogue in his human form who tried his best to defend himself.

"STOP!" Lyric yelled frantically as she rushed toward them. Samuel and Chase, trusting Lyric, moved back slightly but had their gaze fixed on him. Jace continued his attack, lunging for the Rogue's shoulder this time. Lyric tackled Jace to the ground. She was clearly in half-shift and unable to control her emotions. She stood protectively over the man that was still trying to regain his stance.

"Lyric, step aside," Chase demanded with his Alpha tone. Lyric's eyes snapped over to him as she growled menacingly, "If you want him, you have to go through me." Samuel was the only one who noticed that she plainly defied the Alpha tone. "What the fuck?!" Jace started, "Don't defend that scum!" Lyric snarled at him, making him take a step backward.

"What is going on?!" Alpha Harry demanded angrily as he rushed toward the scene, ready to defend his Pack members if necessary. "Lyric, he was eyeing a Pack pup!" Chase exclaimed with disgust. "Well, if I had not drilled it into your thick skull enough, the life of a Rogue is not fun nor free. I did the exact same things he did. He taught me to survive. It was definitely not right but I had to live as well." Lyric defended. Chase stepped back with astonishment.

"You're a fucking monster. Just reject her already!" Jace directed toward Chase. The Rogue instantly growled as Lyric's gaze fell to the ground. Yes, she was disgusted by her deeds and she knew she should have just committed suicide six years aback and all would be well.

The middle aged man placed a hand on her shoulder and without further thought, Lyric wrapped her arms around him in a hug. He had felt her shaking slightly and lifted her chin to see her face. Immediately, he started grinning like he won the lottery and his eyes filled with tears, "Oh my little Lyric, where have you been all this while?"

Chase growled at the man's every action. He had ash blonde hair and grey irises that had seen much hardship. His nose was bony and thin. Chase tried to break the embrace and grabbed Lyric protectively. Lyric flung away Chase's arm, "Didn't you hear him?! I'm a monster! Just reject me. I want to go back to the life I knew." "You know I'd never do that," Chase sincerely responded.

"May I know what is going on?" Alpha Harry demanded once more in a deathly calm voice. "This pervert," Jace started, making Lyric size him up, "was trying to sweet talk a Pack pup and Lyric is now defending him." "Because he's like my father," Lyric clarified, "Anyone who tries to get to him goes through me. He's protected me so much."

"Leave it Lyric," the Rogue chastised, holding his injured arm. "My name is Alec and I truly meant no harm but I'll be going," he nodded respectfully at Alpha Harry. Lyric began trailing him, feeling a small pain glide throughout her body at the thought of leaving Chase. "Where are you going?" he asked her. "I'm coming with you," Lyric replied in an obvious tone. "No little one. You have your Mate and a secured future here." Alec reminded her.

"But without you, I don't want a secured future." Lyric admitted. Alpha Harry seemed to be in much thought, "Can I trust you will not cause any harm to my Pack, Mister Alec?" "I don't trust him," Jace stated instantly, "I never knew our Territory was a pity party for Rogues. They were kicked out of their Packs and it would obviously be for a dark reason." Alec smiled, "I'm the Alpha of the Crystal Cove Rogues. I have a home to return to."

Alpha Harry looked alarmed, "I would not like to make enemies with strength like yourselves." "As long as Lyric is safe with y'all, we are your allies." Alec kindly replied. Samuel snapped back to Jace who was death glaring at Lyric and Alec, "Well, this Rogue," he pointed toward Lyric, "is my sister and will be your Luna. This Rogue," he pointed toward Alec, "is her father. It isn't that complex if you use your brain."

"I apologize for my Pack member's behaviour," Alpha Harry respectfully stated, "Come inside. We'll get you cleaned up." "I'll be fi-" Alec began but was cut off by Lyric tugging his arm and pointing toward the Pack House in an expectant manner. Jace sauntered off, claiming he had more important things to do.

Many weary glances were given to Alec when they entered the Pack House. They occupied the closest sitting area to the exit. Respectfully, many Pack Members filed out. Samuel went to find some medical supplies, Alpha Harry went to inform the Pack that they were not about to be massacred.

Once alone, Lyric dived into his arms once more, looking like she was about to burst into tears. "What have I told you?" Alec hugged her, feeling extremely relieved. She laughed softly, "Not to wander off and talk to strangers?" He chuckled, "Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you in the dark."

"Be strong," Lyric finished off, too ecstatic to care, "I missed you. I thought I sensed you in the clearing the other day and look, you're here!" Suddenly, her entire demeanour changed, "I'm so sorry for being such a coward..."

"It's perfectly alright, little one." Alec reassured her with a fatherly aura. "Where's the Pack?" Lyric asked softly. "We were almost burnt to death a couple months ago," he chuckled lightly. "Minor fatalities and everyone is well but we moved a good couple miles from here," he responded to her. She breathed a sigh of relief. Samuel returned with the first aid kit but left again as Hope called him.

Lyric expertly cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide and a cotton ball. It was not a deep gash and hence did not need any stitches. She applied pressure and then with Chase's help bandaged it correctly. Alec had been mentally shipping the couple during this. When Lyric was engrossed in the wound, Chase would plainly stare at her and vice versa.

She looked quite happy, "May I visit?!" "Not now but soon," he smiled. "So, I'm guessing you found your Mate here," he winked. Lyric blushed softly, "I did... but I'm not sure about where this is going." Instantly, he held her hands and sat up straight, "Lyric, it's quite normal considering your past but I've told you that-"

"I'm a diamond and they can't break me," Lyric whispered in continuation. He had told her that many times before. "I'm famished," he commented, about to ask for a glass of water. "No worries! I'll cook your favourite!" Lyric got up and hurried to the kitchen excitedly.

"She'll be occupied. I take it you have questions," Alec lazily turned his head toward the wall where Chase Arden was listening attentively to their supposedly private conversation. "What happened to her?" Chase began questioning as he sat down.

-Nightthinker ©||2017