Day 10- Dean's return

Day 10

Finley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wake up to the sound of my mother's yelling. I look over at the alarm clock, and see that I'm thirty minutes later than usual. I jump up, and run to the bathroom. I put on mascara and foundation. Then I run back to my room, and put on a pair of skinny jeans, and random t-shirt, and my converse. I throw my hair in a ponytail, and put on my normal pearl necklace, and the one Ryder got me yesterday. I look at myself in the mirror., and decide that I might not scare anyone off. Then I grab my things and run downstairs.

I make a fast breakfast of orange rolls. I wish I could have just had pop-tarts, sense I'm running so late, but if I don't cook in the mornings then Mom gets really mad. It's not worth the fight. After I finish cooking, I run up the stairs and tell Tyler he has five minutes.

When I get downstairs and back in the kitchen, I come face to face with my mother. "Why, were you so late," she demands.

"I'm sorry, I must have forgotten to set an alarm," I say.

" Well, you're going to have to get better, young lady. You seem to be forgetting a lot lately. I mean you 'forgot' and almost killed your brother! or maybe you didn't forget, maybe you wanted him gone. I bet it's because you're so lazy that you didn't want to take care of him! I put a roof over your head, and buy you food! I ask so little of you and you're still trying to find ways out of it! I didn't have dress pants for work this morning, because you had your lazy butt in bed! You are so terrible, you're completely worthless! All you do is sleep, and go to school! I bet you've lied about having a job, I bet it's just your way of trying to get out of more work! I can't believe you! What kind of a sister would try to kill her brother? I'm disgusted with you, Finley! You were a mistake! You better be glad that I'm not kicking you out, because I'm just that loving! I should make you leave, but I'm not that kind of person! You better get your act together, Finley, because I'm not going to take much more of this behavior from you," she yelled at me.

I tense up, and I feel a large bubble of anger starts to rise in my throat. A small voice in the back of my mind, tells me to keep my mouth shut. I ignore it! "Stop! I do everything! The only thing you do is work and then you come home, sit on your butt and watch Tv. I make all the meals, and do the laundry, I clean, pay for all of my things, and you have the nerve to tell me I'm lazy! I'm about to give you a reason to call me lazy!"

"How dare you speak to me in that way," she yells, sending a painful slap across my face. I feel tears prick at my eyes, and walk out of the room.

"Come on Tyler, time for school! I'll pick you up something to eat on the way to school," I yell then turn back to her, "I hope you have a good day. Maybe one day you'll realize just exactly what you've done."

I know Tyler heard the fight, he was quiet the whole way to school, except when he told me what he wanted to eat. I drove to the school, and instantly walked to the bathroom. I went to the biggest stall, and sat down against the wall, and cried. I cried until I couldn't breathe. I could still feel the slap on my face. There's no doubt it left a bruise. I barely even acknowledged when I dug my fingernails into my skin, leaving a trail of blood behind. Yesterday was so good, why did it have to change?

I got a text from Ryder, asking where I was, but I ignored it. I went to class late, and I didn't speak to anybody. I even ignored Ryder when he was calling my name from down the hall after class. I didn't go to the oak tree for lunch. I went to the bathroom. I felt my phone buzz. Another text from Ryder. Ignored.

On my way out of the bathroom, I come face to face with Dean. He stares at me, before coming forward, and pinning me up against the wall.

"Nice bruise you have there, Finley. What did you trip and fall over those huge feet? Anyway, you need to stay away from Ryder. You'll never have a chance with him. He doesn't care. Do you see this bruise," he asks pointing to his eye," that was because of you. I'm about to give you one, just so we're even. An eye for an eye, isn't that how that saying goes?"

He sends a painful blow to my stomach, and I bow over. He jerks my shoulders up, forcing me to stand up straight. "I want you to look me in the eyes when I do this, because deep down you know that this is all you deserve," he says, hitting me again . Then he looks down, I can feel the hot tears streaming down my face. "Nice necklace," he says fingering my pearl necklace, that I've worn everyday for the past 9 months.

"Don't touch it," I say, smacking his hand away.

"What, does it mean something to you," he laughs, and before I can do anything he grabs it, and yanks it off my neck, breaking the chain.

I cry out, and yank it away from him. My necklace. He walks away, completely happy with what he's done to me, and all I can do is clutch my necklace and cry.

I can see a dark figure walking up to me, and kneel down in front of me. I instantly know it's Ryder, and I don't try to move.

"Finley? Finley what happened," he says frantically. I raise my shirt a little ways, so he can see my stomach, and hold out my necklace.

"What? Finley! Who did this," he says, in a growl. I tell him what happened even about my Mom, and I can see his whole body tense. "I'm going to kill him," he growls.

But, he doesn't get up, he pulls me close and holds me, until I'm done crying.

"My necklace," I mutter.

"I'll get it fixed," he says, " now, let's get you home."