Chapter Thirty-Eight: Thirsty/Happy (Luke/Kelsey)

AUTHOR'S NOTE: hey guys so this is going to be one of the last chapters so i really hope you enjoy it :):):) ily guys for liking my story and commenting stuff it makes me happy even if you're asking me to hurry the fuck up and write another chapter, it just makes me happy to see that people are reading my stories and actually like them but yeah if you've read all the way to here ily even more but yeah when this story is over, i will start another one. :) Ily guys a lot <333

Luke's POV

A nurse comes running in the room to check why Kelsey's machine was beeping. She clicks something and it stops. She turns to us.

"Which one of you is she dating?"

Calum raises his hand awkwardly. The nurse smiles.

"Her heart rate just increased, she's okay." Then she leaves.

"Awww Kels!" Michael jokes.

"Shut up." Kelsey says sarcastically. Her voice is barely audible. It sounds like she hasn't drank anything in three years. Calum walks over to her and grabs her hand. I slide a chair underneath him so he doesn't have to awkwardly stand there. Michael grabs two more chairs for me and Anne. 

"I've already seen her. I'm going to leave you guys here."

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Yeah. I'm fine. You stay here." she smiles, waving at Kelsey, then walks out.

"Kelsey!" Michael finally says.

She smiles.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

She looks over at the bottle of water that Michael is holding.

"Is she allowed to?" I ask.

"I don't think so." Ashton says.

Kelsey flicks him.

"Hey I just want you to be okay."

I grab my phone to let her type out her answers.

I'm doing fine. I'm just really fucking thirsty.

Michael reads it and laughs, then Kelsey gives me a look and I flick him. 

"HEY!" Michael says, flicking me back.

"Those were orders directly from the queen, so I wouldn't suggest doing that!" I say, standing up and infecting him with a flicking storm. Kelsey starts laughing lightly, then starts coughing. 

"Guys stop!" Calum raises his voice.

Kelsey grabs his hand, letting him know that it's okay. 

"Sorry." he whispers to her.

"It's okay." she smiles.

"Hey Kelsey, we're glad to see you, but I think we should leave you guys here alone." I smile, getting up. Michael follows my lead after hugging Kelsey and we walk out.

Kelsey's POV

"I thought they'd never leave." he smiles at me.

I weakly smile.

"What's wrong?" he asks.

"What do you think?"

"Do you want water? I can ask the doctor."

"It's not that, Calum. It's... just... now that it's been six months even after that surgery, I can't survive any longer. We've held on for as long as possible."

"We?"

"Without you I wouldn't have lived this long."

"What are you saying? You're so strong. You can do anything."

"Not without you. As much as it pains me to say that I have to rely on someone else, I couldn't have done any of this without you. It's so cliche, but you're my knight in shining armor."

"Or band tees."

She laughs, "yeah, sure, my knight in sleeveless band tees. But, I'm not going to survive any longer than this. This is the last hospital visit where I come out alive."

"Kelsey."

"No, Calum, don't try to be optimistic, I'm just being realistic. This was one extra time that I shouldn't have survived."

"Kels"

"Calum."

"Listen to me. They did a risky part of the operation and it saved your life. There was only a 30% survival rate and you were part of that 30% that survived."

What. What. What. I stare at him, not knowing what to respond. I feel a tear slide down my face. But I'm not sad. Hell no, I'm not sad. I'm happy. I'm ecstatic. I'm radiant. I'm just purely excited to do all the things I didn't think I'd be able to do. I can make more memories with my brother and best friends. I can marry the love of my life. I can start a family. I can do anything. I can literally do anything that I want to do.

I wake up to the feeling of a hand on my cheek. I look up into Calum's eyes.

"Are you okay now."

"Yes." I say, barely audible. I try to sit up to kiss him, but it doesn't work. Instead, he leans over and kisses me. I smile. I can't wait to finally live my life how I always thought I could when I was younger.