Chapter Eighteen: Calum/Summer Love (Calum)

Calum's POV

We park at the hospital and I notice that Kelsey's still sleeping. I get out of the car and pick her up bridal style. I wouldn't dare wake her up after everything that happened that day. Or this whole month, for that matter. I'm sure that she has never gone through so much than she did these past four weeks, and I partly feel like it's my fault. I know I wasn't involved in giving her the disease, I know I wasn't involved in the car crash, and I know I wasn't involved in letting that stupid security video out. I just wish that I could somehow make all of this go away and that I could let her be happy for once. I haven't seen her actually smile, like actually smile in a long, long time and I really wish she would. I love her smile so much and I hate it when she's sad because it means I can't see it. I also wish she'd be happy because I don't want her last memories to be sad. I have been making it my goal to make her happy, but now I'm going to make it my goal to make these next five months the best five months of her life. Ones she, nor I, nor Ash, Luke, or Michael will forget. This is something that I will do, no matter what. If it means parting the seas, setting fire to rain, and winning the Hunger Games, I'll do it. We finally make it into the hospital and we ask if we can see Ashton. They let us because he's allowed visitors. We walk inside and I set Kelsey on the spinny chair before talking to Ash.

"Are you gonna be alright?" I ask.

"Yeah, they said that I'll just have to take it easy with walking and everything, but it's only my left leg so I can still play. But they did have to give me a blood transfusion so I'll be a little off for a while, but we have a few days off anyways."

"Thank God!" I say, running my hand through my hair. "Is Ashleigh okay?"

"I don't know, but you can ask the front nurse."

"Okay, I'll be right back."

I walk out leaving the boys and Kelsey. I find the front nurse and ask her.

"Hello, do you know where Ashleigh Stinson is?"

"Yes, are you a family member?"

"No, but she doesn't have family here, but she was hurt in a car accident and I was in the car... does that count?"

"I'm sorry, I can't let you back there unless you're a family member."

"What if you ask her if Calum Hood can come back and see her?"

"Fine."  She says, getting up and walking back to where I'm assuming Ashleigh's room is. She comes back half a minute later, saying "you can go back to room 102."

I nod my head and walk back to Ashleigh's room. I notice that she's laying down with a bunch of tubes sticking out of her arms. I walk over and sit on the chair next to the bed and grab her hand, which brings back some memories.

--FLASHBACK TO 2014--

"CALUM WHERE ARE YOU?" I hear coming from the next room.

"I'M IN THE BATHROOM I'M BRUSHING MY TEETH!" I yell back.

"HURRY UP WE'RE GONNA BE LATE!"

I quickly finish brushing my teeth and walk out to her living room. We quickly head out the door. She gets into the driver's seat while I sit on the couch, which is right behind her chair. I turn on the tv and start playing Call of Duty: Black Ops. We drive the whole way to the hotel in silence. When we get there, I go inside the hotel to get the boys. We all walk back into the bus and we take off for our next venue. When we get there, we run out of the bus and I give Ashleigh a kiss on the cheek before leaving. I really didn't think I had the guts to do this. This was the last show of the North American leg of the tour and I knew that she only had the bus driving job here. She had to go back to classes in college and I wouldn't see her again until the next year, when we came back to tour. I had to tell her that it wouldn't work out. I just don't see how. We will always be a summer love, nothing more. 

*after the concert*

We get back into the bus and drive back to the hotel we were staying at before flying out the next morning. The boys all leave me and Ashleigh to talk, knowing what I have to do. 

"Hey babe" She smiles.

"Hey... Ashleigh, I think we need to talk.."

"About?" She asks, a concerned look on her face.

"You know that I'm leaving tomorrow and I won't see you until next year."

"Yes?"

"Well... I don't think that this can work out. I think that with my busy life and you having a life at college, I don't think we can make it through."

She looks at me with tears forming in her eyes. "What are you saying?"

"I think we should break up." I say, my voice shaking.

"You have no faith in us?"

"It's not that... It's just that I don't trust myself to do something stupid."

"I trust you."

"You shouldn't. You can't trust me. We'll be separated for an entire year, and I can't do this, Ashleigh."

She looks at me again, this time, tears are streaming down her face. She kisses me on the cheek and looks me in the eyes. "Goodbye, Calum."