Chapter Thirty-Two: Charades/Corn Fields (Kelsey)

*A FEW MONTHS LATER*

"THE GREAT GATSBY!" Calum screams, rising quickly to his feet in celebration.

"NO! Can I give up now?" I ask.

Calum's family traveled up to Texas along with my family, which was a nice surprise. We were playing charades, teens versus kids and adults. I had been giving the boys this clue for a solid two minutes. 

"No keep going!" my mom says.

"Well I'm sorry that your son is lame and can't get this!" I say as Ashton laughs.

"I probably haven't seen the movie." he says.

"It was Mulan." I say, sitting down next to Calum and Luke.

"Oh." Ashton says, drinking some soda from my glass.

"Oh sure, go ahead, drink some of my soda." I say, sarcastically.

"Ok." he responds with the typical older brother smirk.

"Okay. Well, I don't know about you guys, but I'm starving." Calum's dad says.

"I sure as hell am" my dad responds.

"Where should we go?" Calum's dad says again.

"Well actually..." Calum interrupts, "Kelsey and I were thinking of making you guys dinner." he finishes with a huge smile.

"That sounds fine to me as long as you don't burn down the hotel!" Calum's mom says.

"I promise I won't let him burn it down." I smile.

"That's not who we're worried about," my little brother, Harry, laughs.

"Oh shut it." I smile, grabbing him and pinning him down into a tickle fight.

"AHH!" he screams, as he tries to tickle back.

"You're hurting him!" my mom 'informs' me.

"Am not!" I say, but knowing when to pick my battles, I stop tickling him and rub his head, fixing his hair quickly. 

"Alright, let's start now." I say to Calum, standing up and grabbing his hands to help his lazy butt off the couch.

We walk into the kitchen and realize that we have basically no food.

"MICHAEL!" Calum calls.

"WHAT?" we hear a response.

"IT WAS YOUR TURN TO GET GROCERIES AND WE GAVE YOU A LIST."

"YEAH, ABOUT THAT.... I DIDN'T GO."

Calum sighs and reaches into his hand for the rental car keys. In the cities that we've been staying for about a week, we've been renting cars so we can actually get around.

We start to make our way towards the door and Calum tells them what we're doing. We head down to the parking garage and get in the truck. Just as we start to pull out, a bunch of paparazzi start to run at the car. Calum starts honking, letting them know that even though he's going five miles per hour, he's not going to stop. They start getting out of the way, but they're still taking pictures. I turn and rest my head against the window. I haven't gotten much sleep recently because I keep waking up to pains in my chest and head. I know it keeps Calum awake but I can't help it. I've tried to fall asleep on the couch but everytime I do, I wake up back in bed with Calum. I think he's been keeping track of the days too. It's a hard thing to forget and I'm trying to have as much fun as I can with him and everyone else while I still can. 

"Hey babe... what's wrong?" his voice scares me.

"Nothing." I lightly smile at him.

"Are you sure? Because you've been acting differently lately?"

"How do you mean?"

"Well you seem happier, but it seems like it's forced."

"I'm not forcing myself to be happy if that's what you're implying. I'm just... simply... happy."

"Are you? Because you keep falling asleep on the couch like on purpose. And you wake up at night and pace back and forth. Is everything okay?"

I sigh, knowing that I can't talk my way out of this. I have to face the facts.

"No. I'm not okay. I fall asleep on the couch because I don't want to wake you with the pains I'm getting, and that's why I'm pacing too. Because I sometimes don't know how to handle it and I don't know what to do. I've been forcing myself to be happier around everyone so that way I can make the most of what little time I have left." my voice drifts off at the end, but I don't know why. I've known for the past six months that this day was going to come, but it's never felt so... close. That's probably because it hasn't been closer.

I continue, "every second is another second that is gone from my life. I need to live these next few weeks like... like I'm dying... which I am. I need to fit all the years that everyone else gets into these next few weeks that I get."

I look at my feet, then at the hands in my lap, then at Calum. He is staring straight at the road, blinking slowly and not very often. I see him put his blinker on and make a u-turn. 

"Where--" I start, but realize. I know exactly where he's taking me.

We drive for a few miles and end up in an abandoned corn field that we found a few days ago. He parks the truck and sits there for a few seconds.

"I love you." he whispers before exiting the truck.

I follow his lead and we hop into the bed of the pick-up. We sit there in silence until he finally pulls me into a hug. But this wasn't a random hug. It seemed to mix love with lust and sadness with joy. It was like neither of us wanted to let go. Like we we're Jack and Rose on the Titanic. 

"I love you." he whispers again, as he sniffs in, letting me know that I'm not the only one who is crying.

AUTHORS NOTE::::

hey guys I don't write too many authors notes but i just want to let you guys know that this is one of the final chapters to this novel. I'm starting another one soon that has nothing to do with this one but yeah, i think this one will go until chapter 35 or 40. and yeah... and please vote for this story, it would mean a lot to me :)

-rebecca