Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

I continued to explain the rules of my favourite board game to Tutankhaten. While the game itself was relatively simple, the rules were difficult to explain, but eventually I managed to teach him. 

This mostly consisted of us playing a game and me correcting him whenever he was wrong.

But, after a long, long time, we finally managed to have a decent game...where surprisingly enough, Tutankhaten beat me.

I stared at the board as he moved his final piece of the board, before I had even gotten any of mine close to the last row. "What....how..."

Tutankhaten burst out laughing at my reaction. "I suppose you could say I am a natural at this game!"

"No." I shook my head. "You just had a good teacher!"

My brother was about to say something in reply when a knock on the doors beat him to it. He frowned. "I do not normally get this many visitors. Come in!"

The doors opened, revealing Ay. "Prince Tutankhaten you are required - oh, the Princess is with you."

"Yes, is that a problem?" he replied, standing up.

Ay shook his head and bowed. "Not at all. I was just looking for her earlier."

I stood up as well. "And you found me. What is it?"

"The Queen has suddenly fallen ill. She is recovering in her chambers so is unable to attend the execution of the traitors. As a result the Pharaoh has commanded both of your presences in replace of her absence. Hurry now, please be prompt." With that, Ay left, giving us no information on where to meet our brother, or at what time. 

I suppose our free day was over.

••••••

After running around asking many servants and guards, we found out that Smenkhkre was waiting for us at the dock. We were to board the Royal Ship and sail upstream until we reached a 'suitable' spot for the execution. Why we needed a certain spot for a drowning, I knew not. Perhaps I could avoid watching the actual drowning somehow.

With an entire regiment of guards, Tutankhaten and I hurried down the wet and slippery path to the Nile. It felt strange to walk on wet gravel - normally, whenever it rained, I would stay indoors. The rain was cold - an unusual temperature change that I did not like at all. It made me feel cold. I did not like that feeling. Not in the slightest.

So, with soft, woollen shawls wrapped around my arms, we reached the dock and boarded the ship. Smenkhkre was waiting for us out on the deck, leaning against a railing. Out in the open. Subjected to the rain. Sighing, we walked over to him, forced to endure more of the pelting down, cold droplets. Oddly enough, the Pharaoh did not seem to mind the strengthening rain. He was staring down at the Nile, not registering us until my brother tapped him on the back.

Smenkhkre turned around, surprised. "Oh, you are here."

Tutankhaten nodded. "What is wrong with Meritaten?"

Smenkhkre waved the question away. "Oh, she was just feeling ill. Weak, if you ask me. A ploy to get out of this." He pointed to the river. "Ah, well. She does not wish to attend? She will not. And she will not be attending any public events for the next few weeks. And as a result she will be staying bedridden for the next few days."