Chapter 6 - Goddess help us

Brice had talked to Silvery and Stars. They had decided on a small ceremony for the internment. A few of his pack had asked to invite some of their family and he had to consider their requests. Eventually he had approved and the families who arrived had doubled the number of people in his pack. They had plenty of room so they hadn't needed to rent rooms at one of the local hotels.

The morning of the internment he escorted Stars to the memorial garden. She had the small urn in her arms. Her family was there next to her as was Darkness with Sophia. Everyone slowly moved towards the garden. Brice had an arm around Stars and comforted her as much as possible. Cheerful was there as well since he had asked her to come and give comfort to everyone.

Stars was feeling the tears streaming down her face as they approached the portion of the wall used for the internment. Having Brice and her family helped but she was still very upset. Even having a Liraque there for her wasn't calming her a great deal. When they reached the section of the wall she started howling in grief. As she was howling her family joined in followed by the rest of the pack and visitors. Her arms were clutched around the small urn as she howled in grief.

The howls were filled with grief even as Cheerful was counter singing the song of life and death. How long they howled and sang nobody could say. Stars finally set the urn down on the small platform, "Rest at ease my son. When it is time for you to come back we will be waiting. Until then the Goddess will take care of you. I wish she hadn't wanted you back this soon but I'm glad she cared for you so much." As the urn was slowly drawn into the wall she turned to Brice and leaned against him. Her arms were wrapped around him as she pressed her face against him.

He was crying as well. What she had to say hit him and he hoped they would see their son sooner than later. Her words hurt but he could see the belief in what Stars was saying, "Goddess, bless our pup and bring him back as soon as possible. It hurts to lose him but I'm glad you'll take care of him." He had sent the command to take the urn into the wall. As it was being drawn in the colors started tracing into the wall. Once the urn was completely drawn in the entire pack howled again, "The loss hurts but we are going to celebrate. It is a human thing but we are going to give our son a wake to be remembered. Tell stories, jokes, and be glad the Goddess is going to take care of our pack."

He met Cheerful's eyes before heading towards the Den. Tonight, was going to be a celebration no matter what.

~~~

The Goddess was relaxing in her garden with the Pack Lord. She felt the soul of the baby come into her realm. When she looked down a tiny baby was resting in her arms, "Sleep little one, I'll watch over you until it is time for you to return. For the moment, she settled for just holding the tiny pup as he was sleeping. Eventually she would take him to the place the sleeping rested until it was time for them to return to the wheel. For this pup, it wouldn't be all that long since he was so new. For the oldest they took longer since they had to relive their lives and put their cares to rest. Even with Flitter she had several more years before she could consider bringing her back. It was part of life and everyone knew that.

The Pack lord had his arm around the Goddess and looked down as the soul appeared, "Such a lovely little man. I'll comfort Brice later. He needs time to deal with his grief before I visit him." His fingers gently stroked the pup's face and ears as he was talking, "I'll ensure you come back as a pack father little one. We need more and you'll be one of the new generation." He gave the Goddess a good kiss as they faded out of view.

~~~

The next morning Ray was sitting in his office with Night Wind and the other woman, "Before you say anything, I won't accept any sort of compensation for my pups. If you don't accept my requirements on the treatment of my pups then you might as well leave. I'll not have my pups constrained to a harem and not allowed to do what they want. They are being taught what is important. They are also being allowed to become the people they might be. School, art, engineering, what they feel is important to them."