S1-47 | Good-bye ♠

♥ Don't forget to comment below, pretty please? Thanks

♠ A surprise update in celebration for Defying Roarke reaching What's Hot #8. Hooray! Thank you everyone!

S47. Good-bye

I was expecting an angry mob of werewolves to greet me as I entered the living room but instead was pleasantly surprised when Ella grabbed my arm and whispered for me to be quiet. The serious atmosphere of the room prickled at my senses and I stared at the grave faces of everyone. Even Jamie was sitting with Jonah on the other side of the room and looking like a nervous wreck.

Roarke stepped inside the room, his eyes dark and brooding.

"The council had answered. They issued an order not to be a part of the war and if we refuse to comply, we will be suffering the consequences. I'm sure the same issue was ordered to the Ivanov's. "

Max groan in protest. "What the hell were those brats thinking? This is an inevitable war. "

"Apparently, the issue of Gustav's murder had now come to light and the council's top priority is to investigate all houses. A war could break or make evidence." He explained and passed the piece of paper he was holding to Chris.

Chris shook his head. "This is madness. Your father and Uncle Sean even agreed to this."

Roarke nodded stiffly. "My father, the King had expressed his desire for the Romanov house to not be a part of the war. He wants to ensure Ambrose...no...Jonah's safety."

"That's hard to do. Even if we did pull out of the war, the Ivanov's are not guaranteed to do so as well. They don't have anything else to lose. Not an heir anyway." Fray said sarcastically that earned curt nods from everyone.

"So what is it going to be?" Chris asked seriously.

Roarke and I made brief eye contact as he straightened and stared at everyone around the room.

"We are going to war. I will stand liable whatever happens." Roarke announced. Tasha blew out a breath and I did too.

"Ella, Tasha, Honey and Jamie will stay in the manor with Jonah. We will leave an eight of the troops to guard the perimeter, but just in case, I have contacted some of the troops outside the country to regroup here."

Ella started to protest. I squeezed her arm and shook my head. This wasn't the right time. She glared at me and stayed silent.

"After this week, we will need to move the troops. It's better if we initiate the start of war rather than them." Chris commented and Roarke agreed.

Just then, a guard burst inside the room, his eyes wide and alarmed. He quickly went to Roarke, bowing as he did so.

"Master, the fire had started around the south border. The patrol group had come back with this report. "

Roarke's reaction was immediate. He went over to the balcony and sure enough, black smoke had risen from a distance in every corner surrounding the manor.

He cursed loudly. The men were quick on their feet and out of the door in no time. Ella stared at the scene in worry. Fire?

"Was this part of the war?" I asked following Roarke closely as he fired off orders one by one, without missing a beat on his step.

"It is the signal. The enemy are ready. They are waiting."

I stopped in my tracks, my heart beat racing at his words. The past few weeks, the idea of a war seemed unreal and yet now, it's finally here. A loud explosion rattled the whole place. I glanced outside and saw fire blazed from afar. Some of the men started to run toward it but Roarke growled loudly, stopping everyone on their places.