S1-6 | Through New Eyes

VI.Through New Eyes

I could hear the birds chirping as if it was beside me, the rustling of leaves, the whisper of the wind and the tick-tock of the clock. My body felt light, like I was floating in the air.

I am dead. I remember what happened so vividly. My eyelids were heavy I could barely crack them open. The bright light blinded me momentarily and it took some time for my eyes to adjust. I gaze up the high ceiling. Was this heaven? With a ceiling about 14 feet high?

The chirping of the birds started to hurt my ear. I rolled back on my side and glanced at the window. Sure enough, there were two birds by the ledge. I frowned and bolted up right to a sitting position. The hasty action slightly left me dizzy. I grasped the plush white comforter and belatedly realized I was in a King-sized bed in a room thrice the space of my bedroom.

I opened my mouth to say a word but my throat felt parched and I felt the desperate need to drink some water.

Is this a dream? I looked around some more, noting the sleek black furniture and the exquisite interior of the room, all in dark color. The white curtain by the balcony seemed out of place yet was comforting. The chirping of the birds was getting annoying, the temperature in the room, drastically rising. The wind coming from the open window was not enough to soothe my heated skin. Perhaps, I should went outside and shoo away the birds.

I move to slid out of the bed, the comforter fell away and I realized that I had no clothes on. I gasped and quickly cover myself with the blanket. My eyes wide with confusion. Why the hell am I naked? I secure the blanket in a tight knot and went to the balcony. The birds flew away almost instantly as I stepped near. The hot blast of the wind did not soothe my nerves. The stone floor was hot beneath my bare feet and the sun so bright it hurt my eyes. I heard the door opening and whirled around.

A tall woman, a couple of years older than me entered the room carrying a glass of water and some pastries. Her hair was golden and her eyes bright blue. She looked gorgeous. The woman set the tray of refreshment in the table and looked straight at me.

"I'm glad you are awake. I'm sure you're hungry." Her voice was calm and gentle. My stomach grumbled in response and as if she heard the shameful sound, the woman giggled.

"I am Tasha. You're name is Honey right?" she asked and took a step towards me. I unconsciously took a step back, a low threatening growl resounding in my throat. I froze. Did I just growl? Like a dog growling?

I looked alarmingly at Tasha who didn't looked as surprised as I did.

"Oh dear. You can trust me." She said with a gentle smile. I had the sudden urge to sniff the air. Her scent was that of apples and mint. I instantly relaxed. Tasha did not comment on my weird behavior.

"Come on. You need to eat." She urged and I quickly crossed the distance between us, pouncing at the pastries and drank all the contents of water. I made the mistake of glancing at her direction and seeing her amazed expression. As if reprimanded, I put the cookie back and the glass of water, my cheeks heating up furiously.

I must have looked like an idiot, gobbling all that food.

"You don't need to be shy. A week sleep will make you that hungry and considering you are-" she stopped. Her sudden halt did not faze me, it was what she said about a week asleep that made my heart beat faster.

"I-I'm not dead?" I asked and Tasha chuckled. She gestured at me. "Of course not. You're very much alive."

I drew in a shaky breath. My hands flew up to my neck. I'm sure my neck was ripped open, my bones broken. I scanned my arms and found no sign of wounds or scars.

"B-but...H-how?" I was at lost. "J-Jonah? Where is he? Is he okay?"

Tasha frowned, looking confused for a moment.

"Jonah? I see. He kept telling us to call him that. " She muttered more to herself then turned to glance at ne with a comforting smile.

"He is fine. He's resting right now. "

I was relieve. I really did saved him. But still, the question lingered between us. How did I survive?

It was as if Tasha knew. Her lips pressed in a tight line as if she did not want to divulge the answer she clearly knows.

"You were saved." She said.

"Who saved me?" My heart beat accelerated. Cold fear seeped in my skin. I have a feeling I wouldn't like her answer at all. Tasha opened her mouth just as the door opened once again.

The scent of pine, the woods and citrus assaulted my nose. I inhaled a lungful, craving the scent, instantly addicted to it. I was well aware my body temperature had rose. My throat was once again parched yet I was not craving for water. I licked my lips and waited in baited breath as the stranger stepped out of the shadows.

My eyes widened when Roarke Romanov stood not a feet away, regarding me coldly, electric blue eyes piercing from a distance. My heart stuttered. His lips formed a thin line, clearly displeased at seeing me. I reminded myself I am also as displeased as him but the erratic beat f my heart said otherwise.

My eyes were glued on his lips. How I crave to feel them against mine. How I wanted him to hold me and ---. Stop right there!

My thoughts were veering towards a dangerous direction. Why would I be attracted to a killer? He tried to kill me!

But he saved you. A voice inside my head whispered.

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. I want to jump him now, here. No! Stop that!

"Honey?" Tasha's voice was filled with worry. I looked at her and just realized I had already crossed the distance between Roarke and I without meaning to. I desperately tried planting my feet firmly on the ground when all I wanted was to be near him.

I didn't know what was happening. My body craved to be near his but my mind desperately fight off. "What have you done to me?!" I spat accusingly at him.

Roarke narrowed his eyes at me, growing more displeased by the second. Then, his face lit up and a sardonic smile pulled up his lips. I had a bad feeling of what he was about to do.

"Come." He said. His words were like command that my feet voluntarily took a few steps toward him had I not restrained myself. It took all the will power to defy what my body wanted.

"Roarke stop that!" Tasha reprimanded but made no move to go near me.

Roarke merely tilt his head, clearly enjoying what's happening. I glared at him. Sweat trickled down my back.

Give in. Give in. That annoying voice resounded in my head once again.

"I said come." Roarke said louder this time and with much more authority. I buckled my knees and fell to the cold floor, panting heavily as I desperately fought off the command. Tasha came to my side, looking at me worriedly. She then shot a disbelieving look at Roarke's direction.

"I see you she could defy you. It's her gift." She said. I could only wonder what she was talking about. All I know was that Roarke had somehow put a hoodoo spell on me to bend on his every whim.

Roarke's expression turned to stone. He glowered at me, his eyes were so cold, it chilled me to the bones.

"If you could call defiance a gift." He said and sauntered off.

The desire to stop him was overwhelming it was too late when I realized I had tried to go after him, only for the door to shut in my face.

He's angry at me! What should I do---

No! No! I should not care.

I was still panting heavily, my head hurts like a thousand needles were pricking at it.

"Come, you need to rest. " Tasha's soothing voice said and I let her lead me to the bed.

"Sleep." She whispered. I didn't want to give in but I was so tired, I instantly drown in the abyss of darkness.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: I SLEEP POORLY LAST NIGHT THINKING OF THIS SCENE AND I HAD TO WRITE IT OFF QUICKLY. HOPE YOU LIKE IT. :-D