S1-20 | Brave

S20. Brave

There was a burning sensation in my fingers that traveled up my arm, spiking a hot trail of pain down my limbs. I staggered to hold myself upright. The whole room was spinning. My ears were ringing. I couldn't focus on anything. It felt like just waking up when I was already awake.

What just happened?

I remember feeling an uncontrollable rage, a gut wrenching feeling that pushed me to it. I closed my eyes tightly as each fragment finally cleared out.

I attacked the man. The worst part – I couldn't even bear to think of.

I looked down at my claws streaked with red. The rustic smell of blood invaded my nostrils and I kept myself from gagging.

My clothes were splattered with blood and some. Bile rose in my throat as I spied the pool of red liquid I was standing on. Horror washed over me as realization finally sink in.

I did it. I killed the unknown man.

I didn't know what to feel. To be happy that I just avenge the death of my mother or be horrified that I finally give in to that other side of me.

My head throb rhythmically, and just then I heard a scream. I looked up and saw a nurse looking terrified at me. Her eyes wide in horror taking in the grisly look of the room. There were three people dead and blood was everywhere, in the floor, even staining the white-washed walls.

It was terrible. How could I do something like this?

The nurse was thinking the same. She started screaming for help while shaking in fear, watching me fearfully as if I would do the same thing to her. I bit my lip.

The voice started again in my head. 'Run. Run. Run'. It echoed achingly. I gritted my teeth. No more. I will not yield not again.

"Shut up! I am not you! And you will never take control of me again." I screamed. Everything went silent and when I looked up, there were three people looking at me with horrified expressions. I couldn't bear to be subjected to that and so, I ran.

In a mad dash, I heaved myself up the window and jump. Despite everything, I couldn't deny the feeling of exhilaration that surge in me as the air push past my body. I waited until my foot touched the ground. I looked up the fifth floor of the room. How I managed to stay alive after just jumping was amusing.

Gun shots echoed and I knew they were trying to shoot me down, like I was some wild animal. My claws could attest to that. I run away from the hospital into the safety of the woods. The sound of alarm was distant as I soon got farther. I care less if I run to exhaustion. I didn't even know where I was going. I had no one left now.

The next thing that happened was so sudden. A body slammed into me from my right. My legs got tangled to the other. I cried in pain as I skidded to a stop, partially able to dodge trees and not.

I looked up to my attacker. He was a tall man and he looked livid. I am guessing he was friends with the man I just killed in the hospital. And now just like me, he wanted revenge. And yet, I couldn't give in to him.

"You're going to die bitch!" he growled, his eyes morphing to a bright gold.

"Your friend said that to me too. Before I clawed his eyes out." I murmured in a voice that sound far too cold. I realized then that killing does that to you. It makes you unhuman. It undoes you in ways you can't fathom or even mend.

He growled louder. I could almost hear his teeth grinding in anger and yet I couldn't feel fear at all.

"Try to kill me." I said and found that I mean it. I wanted to die. Needed the protection of death from all the pain of living.