S1-5 | On the Run

RECAP:

I froze when I realized someone was under the covers of my bed. The figure in question was small, must be four feet. I place a hand on my mouth to keep myself from screaming. I was trembling in fear as I approached my bed. I softly gripped the edge of the duvet and with a silent prayer pulled it off.

My breath caught in my throat.

No. No. How can this happen?

In my bed lay Jonah, a feverish and naked but alive Jonah.

S5. On the Run

At first, my mind went blank.

And then, he moved and slowly opened his eyes. His gaze zeroed on me. He looked so calm. Not even the slightest bit surprised. He slowly sit up all the while not breaking eye contact.

He did not age. He looked just the same 6 year old boy with freckles over his cheeks. His face was thin and his mop of black hair longer but what concerned me the most was his heavy breathing and how red he looked.

"I think you're in shock." Jonah said slowly and stood up. The duvet slid off his body to reveal his naked form.

I snapped out of my shock and quickly wrapped the blanket around him. His skin felt hot. I am now sure he has a fever.

"Y-you're alive...I-I t-thought.." I was crying before I know it. Being this close to him, I feel relieved, like a weight was now off my chest.

"It's okay. I'm not going to die yet." He assured me. Hearing it from a kid made me laugh but Jonah had always been a precocious child. I wiped the tears away and cupped his cheeks.

"I need to take you to the hospital. Make sure you're okay." I stood up and held out my hand. I gasped when instead of putting his hand on mine, he grasped it and yanked me down.

"W-what-" But he silenced me with his tight grip in my hand. I winced at the pain he was unconsciously inflicting.

"Ssssh. We need to go now. They're coming" He whispered quietly making downy hairs rise in my body. I shivered unconsciously and followed where he's intent gaze is. Outside, it was already dark. The silence felt like a premonition of a storm that was to come.

"W-who is coming?" I asked, but inside I already know the answer. He is.

Jonah did not speak and when I looked at him, his eyes were blank, already catatonic. His temperature had also risen. I need take him to the hospital quick.

I wrapped the blanket around him securely and carried him downstairs. I grabbed my bag and car keys before heading out the door. The nearest hospital was a thirty minute drive from where I live. I contemplated whether I should call Tristan and decided he had to know. I quickly dialed his number yet it directed me to his voice mail. I glanced at Jonah, beads of sweat had formed in his forehead and his breathing had become heavier. The cool air form the car's air conditioning system did not lower his rising temperature.

"Tristan, once you get this. Call me back. Jonah is alive."

I quickly put the car on drive and within minutes we were speeding past the neighborhood. Jonah stirred and glance out the car window.

"Just hold on okay? I'm taking you to the hospital." I said. From my peripheral vision, I could see he looked alarmed. His posture was rigid, as if on edge and his knuckles white from gripping the blanket.

We just reached the part of the road which were surrounded by the thick forest on both sides. My hands on the steering wheel were trembling as the glow of the moon failed to lighten up the shadows made by the canopy of trees.

Someone's watching us.

I stepped in the accelerator and pray to God my instinct was wrong. Even so, the speed of the car was not enough to get us quickly away from the shadows of the forest.

"STOP!!!!" Jonah's scream snapped me out my daze state. I soon realized a huge figure was on the center of the road up ahead. I stepped in the break and car screeched into a halt. I was panting heavily. My heart feels like it was going to jump out of my chest.

I frantically turned to look at Jonah just to find him already looking at me. "You must run." He said so calmly that it chilled me.

I looked at the figure ahead and soon realized there are three giant wolves six feet away.

I was about to turn the car around when Jonah's hot hand touched mine. He slowly shook his head and moved to open the door on his side. Before I had a chance to react he had already slide down. "N-no! Jonah!" I quickly get out of the car. My knees were weak from fear and my steps wobbly as I tried to get to him.

He shot me a sharp, cold look that instantly paralyzed me. I froze, couldn't move and couldn't speak. A huge pressure started in my head, spreading through my limbs.

The blanket pooled around Jonah's feet, and then it happened.

Slowly, white fur sprouted from his skin, his bones crackled, shifted in odd angles. His fingers shrunk, nails elongating slightly. His teeth turned sharper, longer and his mouth protruded and nose shrunk back. I wanted to look away but I couldn't. The transformation was swift, smooth and once it was over, in Jonah's place stood Mallows, my pet.

He gave a short bark and the three wolves on the other side of the road answered ferociously, and started to run. My heart was on my throat. I wanted to run, to scream. I wanted to save him.

My eyes turn wide in fear as I gaped at him. It was suicide! In that moment I realized he was sacrificing his life for me and I couldn't take it. The pressure in my head increased.

I don't want him to die. I don't need someone else to give their life for mine. Not again.

The pressure suddenly vanished. I blinked. Fat, ugly droplets of tears started to fall from my eyes. My lips quivered. I can move.

In my eyes, it was as if the world was plunged to slow motion. I made a desperate leap and pushed Jonah to the side just before one wolf attacked him. Sharp fangs pierced the side of neck and then I suddenly realized I was airborne before I hit the wind shield of my car, the glass shattering behind me. White hot pained seared in my neck and my leg appeared to be twisted. Shards of glass piercing my back.

I desperately tried to move. Jonah is still in trouble. Then I heard screeching of tires followed by a vicious growl. The sound was distant, fading in my ears. Black spots danced in my vision. I was still alive, waiting for my heart beat to stop. It felt like eternity, just lying there.

"She's alive, but barely." I heard someone said.

"You must save her." Another said, this one I recognized as Jonah. A smile stretched my lips. I did it. I saved him.

And then, everything went black.