FOUR⤷ texts & reality

CHAPTER FOUR

penelope
Lucy, please can I stay at your place? I know I've been such a shit friend, leaving you for a boy and stuff. But I just came back to Em saying I have to chose between my parents or stay at her boyfriends house.. and I don't really want to do either of those

lucy
did you actually think I'd say no? Of course you can, bring your shit, we need a catch up.

penelope
you're the best, can't wait, I'll be like ten minutes.

...

Penelope sat on the bus with her earbuds in listening to the new Ed Sheeran album. Due to failing her driving test, a grand total of 7 times, she had to travel by bus, cab, train or by the rare lift from a friend. Back when Penelope lived with Chris, Penelope didn't have many friends. She was too busy with work to get close with anyone really, but she did have one friend. Chris's brother, Kit.

Penelope hadn't received a message from Kit since before the break up so she had convinced herself that he didn't want to be her friend anymore.

The bus pulled up at the stop nearest Lucy's house. It was just as she remembered. She didn't live in what society would class as a good neighbourhood, graffiti was on everything, but Penelope saw beauty in it. She loved imagining the time it got painted and what the anonymous artist had on their mind while creating their masterpiece.

After a few minutes of walking, Penelope reached the familiar door of Lucy's house and knocked on the door eight times. The two had a pact since childhood that nobody knocks eight times so whenever one of them heard eight knocks on the door they'd know who was knocking.

"You remembered the eight knocks thing!" Lucy said as she opened the door, hugging her best friend.

"Come in, I have popcorn and vodka! My parents are on holiday for like another few days so!" Lucy exclaimed as the two walked in and sat on the sofa.

"I've missed you so much." Penelope said to her best friend.

A cold tear escaped Penelope's eye and Lucy gave her a sad smile.

"Hey, are you okay?" Lucy asked and Penelope nodded "Yeah, I was just listening to Ed Sheeran on the bus and I don't know. I'm so overwhelmed and happy to be here I just-"

Penelope was cut of by Lucy hugging her tightly.

"Aww Nell. But honestly if you don't stop crying, I might start. And once I start, we both know that I don't stop." Lucy let out a small laugh. "So.. pack it in!" She added, giving Penelope a whack on the arm.

"Okay, okay!" Penelope laughed grabbing the bowl of popcorn from the table.

"I'm making drinks, you want yours strong?" Lucy asked and Penelope pouted her lip. "Sure.. my mom didn't raise no bitch."

"This is why I love you." Lucy sniggered as she walked into the kitchen. A few minutes later she walked back in with two drinks.

"Cheers?" Lucy said, after sitting down, holding her glass up to her friends.

"Cheers!" Penelope laughed, clinking her glass into Lucy's.

[ 21.03.17 ]

NOTE: this is also another chapter of character development, but I may make the next chapter run on from this one, which in my head may or may not include ethan. Also, I wasn't even going to update until like Thursday but I just wanted to say thank you for like 650 reads!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, please vote if you did❤️