Almost Sure

(Monte POV)

   We reached Violets drive way and we quickly got Gracie in the house. She handed me her car keys and I went out to grab my suit cases. When I walked in the house I finally took everything in, the couches were a soft black leather and there were little red accent pieces here and there, but only subtle little things like candles and coasters. I placed my stuff near the couch and noticed the place smelled like vanilla and black berries. Should have known that would be Violets choice smell. I looked at the dining room and saw Violet signing some papers and putting them into a little purple and black backpack. She looked over at me and smiled.

   "Do you want some tea or some water?" she placed the backpack on a hook near the front door.

  "Do you still drink Earl Grey tea?" a gleam went in her eye like I just asked the million dollar question.

  "Do you still play guitar?" I noted every little drip of sarcasm in her voice.

   "Well then, I'll take some of that!" She smiled and walked back into the kitchen. I walked around the living room and looked at all of the pictures, there were some of her at the tattoo parlor, some of her while she was pregnant, but the one that got me, was the one that we took on our first year anniversary of dating. We were sitting in Capulets Cafe and there was a little cake in front of us, and a ring on a chain around Violets neck. I gave her that ring earlier that day, telling her that if we made it through high school together, that I would marry her.

   My train of thought was broken when I heard a small whine coming from Gracies room. I quickly walked in there seeing that she woke up. She had on her teal and black pajama short set on and was rubbing her eyes.

  "Gracie what's wrong honey?" She looked up at me and had a scared expression on her tiny face, and it broke my heart into pieces. The last thing that you ever want to see as a parent is a scared expression on your child's face, it means they feel unsafe, and I am NOT okay with her feeling unsafe while I'm around.

   "Daddy, I had a bad dream, I think there are monsters out to get me." a little tear escaped her eye and I wanted to die. I walked over and I picked her up and sat her in my lap as I sat on her twin size bed.

   "There, there sweetie, nothing is going to get you, not while you have mommy, daddy, and a million other uncle's who would kill for you!" I was smoothing her hair out of her face and rocking her while trying to get her back to sleep.

    "You forgot Aunt Rei." She let out a little yawn while slapping her jaws together afterwards, I just continued to to rock her until she fell completely asleep. I got up and gently placed her under the covers while kissing her forehead. I walked out of her room being sure to leave the door open a crack. I walked back into the living room to see Violet putting some blankets on the couch, she made it into a tiny little bed, and placed a pillow at one end, only to keep flipping it back and forth trying to figure out which way I was going to lay.

    "You might as well just put it in the middle, It's gonna end up getting thrown off the couch eventually!" She jumped a little then looked down while blushing slightly.

   "Um, y-your t-tea is r-ready." She sat down on the loveseat clearly frustrated at herself for studdering. I sat down next to her and pulled her into a hug. I felt the same electrifying shock that I felt when I hugged her at the show. I felt her arms wrap around me and I knew I could just melt there.

    "What was that for?" She pulled away and looked at me smiling.

    "I don't know, I just never could stand the fact of seeing you upset." She slightly blushed and looked down, then she jumped up suddenly.