Chapter 46

Tobias's POV

My alarm blares in my ear, and I jump up. I rub my eyes and slowly walk into my bathroom. I get into the shower, turn the hot water on, and let it cascade down my body to get my to wake up.

I didn't sleep very well last night. I was plagued with nightmares about losing Tris. I've been having them a lot lately, and they're really troubling me. I hate them. They really get to me.

I get out of the shower, dry off, and throw on some jeans and a black muscle shirt. I dry my hair, mess it up some, and slip on my black Converse. I grab my phone and my backpack and walk downstairs to the kitchen. I sit down at the counter, and Dad hands me a plate with bacon and eggs. I start eating it while staring off into space.

"Hello? Earth to Tobias," Justin says while snapping his fingers in front of my face.

"What?"

"What's wrong with you?" he asks.

"Oh. Umm. I've been having nightmares lately. And I'm starting to have anxiety about moving to California," I answer.

"It's going to be ok, buddy," he says. "You'll have Tris. The two of you can take on anything together."

"Yeah. I know. It just feels like there is something gnawing at me, and I don't know what it is. It's something important too; I just can't figure it out. I don't know. It's probably nothing, man," I say and put my plate in the sink. "I gotta get to school. See you later."

"See ya."

I grab my car keys, walk out to my car, and start driving to school. I park, get out, and walk to my locker. I gather up all of the stuff that I need and make my way to Tris's locker. Tris will brighten up my day. She always does. She always puts a smile on my face. I find her finishing up at her locker. I walk up to her and gently wrap my arms her waist. She turns around to look at me.

"Hey, bumble bee," I say while smiling. What can I say. I just can't help smiling when I'm around her.

"Hey, Tobias," she says, and I kiss her.

"Are you still hurting?" She nods her head.

"Yeah." I nod my head too and gently hug her.

She told me yesterday that she's been having cramps, so I've been very careful.

"So today is our last day," I say.

"Yeah. It is."

"Are you excited to leave this place?" I ask.

"I don't know," she admits. "I mean yes, I want to get out of high school. But I'm not really ready to leave this building and Chicago. Everything happened here. This place holds the most valuables pieces of my life."

"I know what you mean. This place holds the best and worst pieces of my life. Not only will this place be special because it's my hometown, it will be special because this is where I met you. And you changed my life. I'm glad you moved here. I'm glad I met you," I say.

I gently place my forehead on hers, and I see a few tears fall down her face. I kiss away each one of them.

"Why are you crying?"

"I don't know," she answers. "Tobias, what if I'm not ready? What if I'm not ready to face the world?"

"Tris," I say. "You're ready. You've always been ready. Everything that has happened to you has prepared you for this. You don't have to worry about facing the world. The world has to worry about facing you." She laughs.

"That line is always used," she replies.

"It's always used because it's true. You are strong. And brave. And intelligent," I say. "You'll be fine. You'll be more than fine." I wipe away the tears that are still on her cheeks. The bell rings, and we automatically both sigh. I don't want to leave my precious angel's side.