Chapter 44

Tobias's POV

My annoying alarm wakes me up from a dreamless sleep. I slowly get up out of bed and take a quick shower. I throw on some jeans and a white shirt. I brush my hair, grab my phone and backpack, and run downstairs to the kitchen where I find Dad and Justin.

"Hey," Justin says as I sit down at the table.

"Hey. Are you ready for our bro day today?" I ask.

"Yes! I'm so excited!" he exclaims. "Are you sure Tris won't mind?"

"I don't think she'll mind. She can have a girl day or something. She'll be fine; she is coming with me to California," I tell him.

"Ok."

I start eating the bacon and scrambled eggs that Dad places down in front of me. I finish eating it, grab my car keys, and walk out to my car.

I get in and drive to school. I get out of my car and walk inside to locker. I quickly pack up all of my stuff and walk to Tris's locker. When I get there, I realize that Tris isn't there.

She's probably still in the library studying. I shouldn't bother her. I go ahead and walk to class early. I enter the classroom and sit down in my regular seat. My mind wanders off to Tris. Like it usually does.

I still don't feel too good about what happened yesterday. I don't think that she's really fine. I think something is bothering her. Either she doesn't know what is exactly bothering her, or she doesn't want to tell me. I want it to be the first one. I hope that she doesn't feel like she has to keep some thing away from me.

I can handle anything she says. Even if it hurts or stuns or angers me at first, I can handle it. I would handle it. For her. Because the last time I didn't handle something, the last time I didn't control myself, I was heartbroken. Tris broke up with me. I don't want that to happen again. I can't let that happen to me. I can't.

Because I love her. With all of my heart. And I always will. No matter what. Even if I do end up heartbroken.

The bell rings, and people start filing into the classroom. Zeke, Will, and Uriah come in and sit down in their seats.

"Are we still on for today?" Zeke asks, and I nod my head.

"Yeah," I answer. "I just have to tell Tris about it."

"Ok," Will and Uriah say. The bell rings again, and Mrs.Johnson walks up to the front.

"Ok, class. Please open your books to page 328," she says, and we all flip to that page in the textbook. She starts the lesson, and I zone out.

What is wrong with Tris? What's going to happen? What am I going to do?

--------------page break---------------

The bell rings, and I quickly gather my stuff. I make my way to the cafeteria and go through the line. I really want to see Tris and make sure that's she's ok. I pay for my food and sit down next to Tris and across from Christina at the table.

"Hey, Tris."

"Hey, Four," she says, and I can't help it. I hug her.

"I'm glad you're ok," I whisper in her ear, and the gang comes running in.

"Sorry we're late," Will says. "Our teacher held us up."

"Tris!" They all run to her, and she starts laughing as the all hug her. Then she suddenly grows a little panicked.

"Watch my stomach please," she says, and we all grow confused. Why do they need to watch her stomach.

"Why?"