Chapter 40

Tobias's POV

The alarm on my phone goes off, and I get out of bed. Tonight is Prom! And I can't wait!

I go into my bathroom and jump into the shower. I wash, get out, and put on a pair of jeans and a white t-shirt. I go into my closet and slip on my black Converse. I sit down at my desk, pick up my pencil, and finish the last few notes of the song I'm writing for tonight. I start singing it, and my door opens. My dad steps in.

"That sounds good," he says.

"Thanks," I reply and turn to him. "It's the song I'm singing tonight at Prom."

"Well. Here's your breakfast," he says and hands me a tray with bacon and eggs on it.

"Thanks, Dad."

"You're welcome, Tobias."

He walks out, and I start eating the food that he brought me. Once I'm done eating, I push the tray away and take out some more paper.

Last night, right before I went to bed, I had an idea for another song. So I want to get it down on paper now before I forget it. I pick up my pencil again and start writing down first lines. I keep scribbling them out until I find the perfect first line. I continue to write lines and scribble them out until I find the right lines for the chorus.

With a spark of hope, you could light the way
With an ounce of your heart, you could make someone stay
With a dash of courage, you could save a friend
With just a little bit of love, you could help until the end
Yeah with a little bit of love, you could help until the end

I put my pencil down and walk downstairs to the kitchen. I grab a water bottle from the fridge and take a sip from it. The doorbell suddenly rings.

"I'll get it!" I yell, so Dad can hear me from his at home office. I walk to the front door and open it. I find Zeke, Will, and Uriah.

"Hey, guys," I say and let them in.

"Hey, Four." I close the door and walk back up to my room with the guys following. I sit back down at my desk, and the guys plop down on my bed and the floor. I pick up my pencil again and tap my head with it. Now, what would be the perfect lines for the first verse?

"What are you doing?" Zeke asks.

"I'm just trying to work on a song," I answer.

"You write songs?" Uriah asks.

"Yeah. It's just something I do when I need to get my feelings out, or I have an idea for inspiring people," I explain.

"Cool."

"So," Will says. "What do you want to do?"

"Can we go paintballing?" Uriah asks, excitedly.

"Sure. Why not? We don't have anything else to do," I say.

"Yeah!" they all exclaim. I grab my water bottle, phone, and car keys, and we all walk downstairs. We walk out to my car, we get in, and I drive us to the paintball place.

We go inside and up to the desk. I pay for one game, and since there's only four of us, we're playing with another group. We get our gear ready and then sit down next to the group we're playing with. The guy next to me turns to me.

"Hey, it looks like you're on my team. I'm Blake," he says and extends his hand. I shake it.

"I'm Four," I reply.

"Like the number?"

"Yeah. It's a nickname. But that's what I go by all of the time," I say.

"That's so cool. I wish I had a number for a name," he says, and I chuckle. He turns to the girl beside him and nudges her. She turns to him with a smile.