Chapter 21

Tris's POV

I wake up and immediately sigh. I have to go to school today. Today's Monday now, and I haven't seen Tobias since we broke up Wednesday. Thursday, they kept me in the hospital to run some tests. Friday, I stayed home to get some rest. The hospital exhausted me. And then Saturday and Sunday, I stayed home eating ice cream and watching Shadowhunters. Now it's Monday, and I have to go to school.

I get out of bed and take a long shower. I put on a white sweater, a pair of skinny jeans, a black beanie, and black converse. I decide to not wear any makeup. I just don't feel like fooling with it. I grab my phone and backpack and walk downstairs. I sit down at the counter.

"Morning Mom," I say.

"Good morning sweetheart," Mom says and hands me a plate with waffles on it.

"Thanks," I reply and take a bite of them.

"You're welcome. So, are you feeling ok?" she asks.

"Yeah. I mean of course I still hurt because I loved him, but I'm fine," I answer.

"Ok. Well, take it easy. We don't want you to have another heart attack," she says.

"Ok. I will," I say, and she walks upstairs. I finish eating my waffles and walk out to my car. I get in and drive to school. I go inside and to my locker. I get the stuff I need and look down the hallway. And that's when I see Tobias. He looks horrible.

His eyes are red, and it looks like he hasn't slept in days. He probably hasn't. His hair is way messier than usual. You can't call it a messy look now. It's just messy. His clothes aren't perfect which they usually are. They're wrinkled and messed up. And he's staring at the floor, zoned completely out. He looks up and meets my eyes.

His eyes seem to light up with something, but I don't know what. As I stare into his eyes, I start to fall for him all over again. But then I think about what he did, and I snap out of it. I look a second longer into his beautiful but pitiful eyes and turn away. I walk to my first class and sit down in the back of the classroom. The teacher walks in, and class begins.

----------------page break---------------

The bell rings, and I slowly walk to the cafeteria. I go through the lunch line and sit down at the table. As far away from Tobias as I can. Tobias continues to stare at his food, but the rest of the gang looks up.

"Tris. Where have you been?" Christina asks.

"We've been calling and texting you," Will says.

"Umm. I wasn't feeling well Thursday and Friday. And my mom wanted me to stay home over the weekend," I explain. I can tell everyone bought it. Except for Tobias.

"Ok. So, umm Four won't tell us what happened. And we know something happened. Will you tell us?" Marlene asks. I look at Tobias and see that he's looking at me now. I'm about to open my mouth, but Tobias decides to talk.

"You want to know what happened? Tris and I broke up. That's what happened," he says. Everyone gasps and looks at both of us.

"Why?" Uriah asks.

"I don't know. Ask Tris. She's the one that broke up with me," Tobias says and storms out. I sigh and put my head in my hands. I feel bad because I know he's hurting.

"Tris. What happened?" Shauna asks.

"I found Four with Lauren and ran out. He ran after me and hurt me. He lost control, and I can't trust him right now," I tell them.

"Oh. Are you doing ok?" Zeke asks.

"No. Not really. I want to be with him, but I just can't trust him right now. I feel horrible. Especially for how bad Four is," I answer.