Chapter 45

Tris's POV

"Beatrice, sweetie. Wake up. It's your last day of school."

I slowly open my eyes to find Mom trying to coax me out of bed. I don't want to get up. It's so warm.

"Mom," I groan. "Can't I just stay home today?"

"Now why would I let you do that?" she asks.

"Because the baby wants me to stay at home and let it sleep?" I suggest.

"Nice try," she says. "But that baby needs to hear other peoples' voices, or it won't be a people person. So up you go. To the bathroom."

I groan again, but I do what she says. I'm lucky that she didn't ground me for getting pregnant, so I better not push that luck. I walk into my bathroom and get into the shower. I quickly wash my hair and body, get out of the shower, and wrap a towel around my body after I dry myself off.

I walk into my closet and start looking for a comfortable, loose outfit. My stomach is getting bigger, but it's not really noticeable yet unless you know that I'm pregnant which is good. I don't need someone finding out and telling Tobias before I'm ready to tell him.

I grab a pair of black leggings and a cute oversized blouse. I quickly change into the outfit, dry my hair, and put it up in a messy bun. I decide to leave my face bare of makeup since I'm lazy today and throw on a pair of white sandals. I put on my T necklace and my promise ring. I grab my backpack and my phone off of the charger and walk slowly downstairs to the kitchen. I sit down at the island, and Mom hands me a bowl of oatmeal. I eat it and put the bowl in the sink.

"Bye, Mom," I say and kiss her cheek. "Love you."

"Love you, sweetie. Have a good day at school," she says, and I grab my car keys. I walk out to my car, get in, and drive to school. I get out, walk inside to my locker, and start unpacking my stuff. I feel arms gently wrap around my waist, and I turn around to find Tobias.

"Hey, bumble bee," he says with a smile.

"Hey, Tobias," I say, and he kisses me.

"Are you still hurting?" he asks, and I nod my head.

"Yeah." He nods his head and gently hugs me.

I told Tobias yesterday that I was having cramps because I didn't want him to hug me hard and crush the baby. Cramps was the only excuse I could come up with. Nobody questions cramps.

"So today is our last day," he says.

"Yeah. It is," I say.

"Are you excited to leave this place?"

"I don't know," I answer. "I mean yes, I want to get out of high school. But I'm not really ready to leave this building and Chicago. Everything happened here. This place holds the most valuable pieces of my life."

"I know what you mean," he says. "This place holds the best and worst pieces of my life. Not only will this place be special because it's my hometown, it will be special because this is where I met you. And you changed my life. I'm glad you moved here. I'm glad I met you."

He lays his forehead on mine, and a few silent tears slide down my face. He kisses them away.

"Why are you crying?" he asks quietly.

"I don't know. Tobias, what if I'm not ready? What if I'm not ready to face the world?" I ask.

"Tris. You're ready. You've always been ready. Everything that has happened to you has prepared you for this. You don't have to worry about facing the world. The world has to worry about facing you," he tells me, and I laugh a little.