Chapter 1

Tris's POV

I wake up and look around. Where am I? Oh right. I'm in my new house in Chicago. I jump out of bed and go into the bathroom. I take a quick shower and go to my closet. I pick out black leggings, a royal blue tank top, and a black leather jacket. I dry my hair and decide to leave it straight. I apply black mascara and some red lipgloss. I throw on some black combat boots and grab my stuff. I go downstairs and into the kitchen.

"Hey Mom," I say and sit down at the counter.

"Hey honey. How do you feel?" Mom asks.

"I'm excited.......and nervous. Mom, what if I have my flashbacks?" I ask.

"It's ok. Everything is going to be ok," she replies and gives me some pancakes.

"Thanks," I say.

I eat my breakfast and grab my car keys. I get in my car and drive to my new school. I take a deep breath and get out of my car. And everybody is looking at me and my car. I blush and put my head down. I walk through the crowd of silence. I go to the office.

"Beatrice Prior," I say.

"Here you go." The woman hands me my schedule.

"Thank you." I take my schedule and walk out of the office. I bump into someone and fall on my butt.

"Ow," I say.

"Oh. I'm so sorry. I can't believe I've knocked down the new girl on her first day," someone says. I look up and see a girl with mocha skin. The girl offers her hand. I take it, and she helps me up.

"Thanks," I say and pick my stuff up.

"You're welcome. I'm Christina," the girl says.

"I'm Beatrice. But call me Tris," I say.

"Tris. I like it," Christina replies. "Can I see your schedule?"

"Umm. Sure." I hand her my schedule, and she scans over it.

"Cool. Our first two classes and lunch period are the same. But I don't have the same last period," she says.

"Oh," I say.

"I'll show you your locker," Christina says.

"Ok," I say.

She shows me to my locker, and I put the stuff I don't need away. Christina shows me to our first class. Everybody looks up when I enter. I blush and sit down. Class begins.

"It looks like we have a new student. Introduce yourself please," the teacher says. I stand up.

"I'm Tris Prior. I moved here from Florida." I sit back down.

After that boring class and the next, it's finally lunch.

"So. You get to meet my friends," Christina says while we're walking to the cafeteria.

"Cool," I say.

We walk into the cafeteria and sit down at a table with a group of people. They stop their conversation and look at me.

"Guys. This is Tris. Tris, this is Uriah, Marlene, Zeke, Shauna, Will, and Four," Christina says.

My eyes linger on Four. He has messy brown hair and stormy blue eyes. He's really cute.

"It's nice to meet you guys," I say.

"So this is what you need to know about our group. Will and I are dating. Shauna and Zeke are dating. Marlene and Uriah are dating. Uriah and Zeke are brothers. And Four is single and the mysterious person in the group," Christina explains.