Chapter 24: Beyond Silence

Start from the beginning

Elizabeth focused her attention back on the maid. She did not want to sound cross, but Bertha was going to show her respect. "Bertha, I will not ask you again. Come back here."

Bertha turned to look at her and, despite the pitiful look on her face, Elizabeth saw the glint of amusement in her eyes, and all it did was ignite her anger. She approached her slowly, making time stretch out to fit a million years.

Elizabeth stepped forward, wishing she was taller so she could look down on the woman, but standing at a similar length would do. "Were you raised by wolves, Bertha? Or has your recent status as the local whore made you immune to common decency?"

The woman raised an eyebrow. "Ma'am?"

"Do not act stupid around me," Elizabeth whispered. "You will show me respect, or I will have you sacked."

Bertha did not even bother hiding her amusement then. "Ma'am, all due respect—"

"Stop talking," Elizabeth hissed. "Curtsey to me, Bertha, as you should to a woman of higher standing than you. Then turn around and walk away with your head bowed like the lowly, penniless, useless servant that you are."

Bertha laughed. "You're joking!" She must have seen the look on Elizabeth's face, because she sighed. "Very well." She curtsied.

"Sloppy," Elizabeth scoffed. "Pathetic. Horrid. Disgusting. Now that I am done describing you, I would call your curtsey dismal and an eyesore at best. Now get out of my sight, and do not show yourself to me ever again."

Bertha looked like she was holding back her own anger with the way she clenched her jaw and glared at Elizabeth. "You do not know what you are dealing with."

"Oh, is that meant to scare me? Because you think you have my father wrapped in your little hand? Don't be stupid. You will never beat me, Bertha," Elizabeth grinned. "You do not scare me. You are nothing but a useless trollop. I will always take precedence over you in my father's eyes, you would be wise to remember that," she waved her off. "Go now, little maid. Get out of my sight."

Bertha looked like she was going to saw something in retaliation, but saw that she had lost this fight so she turned to walk away.

"Head down, look at the floor," Elizabeth said. "Do as I say, servant."

Bertha's back stiffened. Elizabeth braced herself for confrontation, but it did not happen. Instead, Bertha bowed her head, as Elizabeth had told her, and stormed away, stomping her feet like a wild bull.

Satisfied, Elizabeth turned to walk into her father's study, shutting the door behind her. Miraculously, he seemed to miss the entire encounter, as he was busy shifting through his papers. She watched him for a moment, waiting for him to see her standing there.

Eventually, he did. "Darling, how long have you been there?"

"Just for a moment," Elizabeth replied.

"Please," her father gestured to the chair across from him. "Sit down. Would you like some tea?"

Elizabeth shook her head, glancing around the study for anything that stood out. "N-no, I had some at home before I came here. Where is mother?"

"She is at the market," her father looked down at his papers again. "She should be home soon... Blast..."

"Is everything all right?"

"Yes, of course it is, dear, it's just... Damn... Excuse me," he shook his head. "No, this is not right."

"Is there anything that I can help with?" Elizabeth asked while trying desperately to catch anything in her father's papers. There had to be something she could use against Bertha, anything! The woman had to have something over her father, or he would not have been so easily swayed by her lust. She put a spell on him, or blackmailed him! Either way, Elizabeth was going to find out. Her husband had said to be thorough and that a woman like Bertha was likely to have covered her tracks. Well, Elizabeth was going to uncover them, by god. She wasn't going to let that woman win.