Man Is Mortal, In The End

Start from the beginning

      “No, you are the one that made it possible for your servants to have headstones from the start.” Dorothy’s snide, smug tone infuriated him more. Her sickly sweet smile, once the most beautiful one he’d thought he ever had the pleasure of seeing, was maddening despite the fact it wasn't a malevolent grin. It was the first time he ever felt the urge to strike a female. He didn't have a simple slap or backhand to the face in mind, but a curled fist being sent at the speed of light to shatter her high-set cheekbone.

  “One can only wonder when your parent’s gravestones will join the rest.” Dorothy mocked being in thought, tapping a gloved finger to her chin. “This round will not be easy for you. If you lose, they will both go together. Then you have one last game left, if you choose. If you win, I will bring them all back. If you lose, I will have you.” Her nose was suddenly brushing against his, and before he knew it, he was being paralyzed with fear by two intense, catlike violet eyes less than an inch from his fearful, wide ones.

“...Do we have a deal, boy?”

 Sue thought long and hard as she patiently, and disturbingly, burned holes into his skull with the unblinking gems that served as her eyes. She was leaning forward, on her toes, her hands clasped behind her back, and a cordial “anytime now…” expression frozen on her petite pale face. Finally, he seemed to come to a decision, for he straightened his posture and met her gaze with a look of determination. She grinned, not a evil, toothy, manic grin, but an eager, innocent one. He opened his mouth.

    “No.”

Dorothy blinked. Perplexed, she faltered, “Wha-what?” The redhead leaned back and slumped. “Did you just….refuse me?” She was utterly dumbfounded.

    “We do not have a deal, girl.” Sue drawled coolly yet spitefully, folding his arms across his chest. She shrunk from him, as if recoiling from the contempt on his face. “I may have fallen for your tricks far too many times to be excusable, but I am not daft enough to be unaware by now of the fact that you use your powers to win. Ever since I've played for the lives that were lost because of my doing, well, partly my doing, you've been using them to ensure I’d never find you. Then you’d use them again to appear to me when I've lost. You devil.”

       Dorothy’s shock burned into a rage he’d never seen her resort to. Her thin eyebrows furrowed and lowered over her narrowed eyes, her catlike pupils shrinking into a thinner slit in her gleaming irises. Her lips parted into a snarl. She pointed at him. “You are far worse than I could ever be, you don't wish to even try to get them back! Sheer cowardice! You deserve the hell I put you through, you're plain greedy and selfish. You only care for yourself.”

      “I do regret getting my family into this horrid mess. My greed lead me to abhorrent, and indeed selfish behavior, and it cost me and the lives of innocents.” Sue spoke defiantly, eyes sparkling with tears. He reached into the pocket of his blazer and produced a golden chess piece to her. “You can have this gift of yours back. You can have them all back. They're mere objects, the wellbeing of my family is of much more value to me.”

      The blood pumping to Dorothy’s pale cheeks burned like lava as she saw red. Things were not going her way at all. “You ingrate!” She hissed. “Don't you worry Sue, I will be back, and I won't stop until you and your family’s blood has been spilt by my hands.”

      “Would it not be convenient for you to just...off us now?” Sue inquired, genuinely confused and curious as ever.

        “No, you imbecilic ape.” Dorothy spat, her words failing to sting him now. “I’m not the demon from your bedtime stories, my position as a guard doesn't call for needless excessive violence… You and our-your, family was meant to be my sacrifice to the princess in return for immortalizing and powering me. I cannot just run around massacring humans willy nilly, I’ll be impeached.”

    Sue tilted his head to the side. He wanted her answer to clear up some things, but it only brought on more questions. They all fired out his mouth as fast as he could ask them. “Wasn't you hurting my family needless excessive violence? You say you are a guard? That can't be, you’re a child, like me. What princess?”

    “Let me guess,” Dorothy interjected bitterly, “you’re going to ask what impeached means next, aren't you?”

    “I believe you are forgetting the fact one of my hobbies is reading books.” Sue deadpanned. “And I think it is time you left us all alone…” Dorothy's eyes opened wide in rekindled rage, and a little embarrassment. Then they softened, were squeezed shut, then opened halfway to stare at Sue with a somber expression. Tears spilled down her rosy cheeks as she then disappeared.

    Sue, for the first time in what felt like forever, let a sincere smile light up his pallid face as he searched for his parents to inform them he finished packing his belongings. It felt like a great weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Although the guilt was still there, he accepted the fact that the servants and maids were gone, and that instead of associating himself with a demoness to revive them he should just repent for his sin. After all, man is mortal in the end.

~~~~

“Please give me more time, princess.” Dorothy pleaded with a respectful curtsy, choking back sobs with all her might. Said princess stood and stared with pity, and regret for constructing the deal. They were both standing in that room in the sewers her mother saw fit to always trap the girl in. The manor was vacant now, the previous tenants, AKA what was left of the family she should've appreciated despite their faults, had moved out. The fancy rooms were mostly void of furniture, and it all felt so lifeless. The graves remained in the backyard, no longer choked by overgrown vegetation.

    “I am sorry Dorothy, but I had given you a year.” Priscilla replied softly, scraping a thick lock of her reddish-pink hair behind her ear. Her bloodless skin seemed to glimmer even in the gloom, the same could be said for her violet eyes. “Your deadline has passed. You were close but…” She trailed off, then sighed. “I am disappointed I won't have you as one of my guards, but...mere stuffed animals and dusty old books is not a worthy sacrifice. You do not care for them, like you cared for your brother, Sue.”

    Dorothy wiped tears away, keeping her eyes closed. She could make out a glow behind the darkness of her eyelids, and the dread and fear snaked all throughout her body like vines with a mind of their own. A feminine hand was placed over her heart, allowing excruciating pain to shoot through every nerve in her body. The abnormal blood pumping through her veins stopped flowing, and Dorothy dropped to the ground. Her eyes and mouth were gaping, just like they were as she was welcomed into the afterlife she was promised entry into if her position as a guard was removed. Not sharing countless more memories with her parents and younger brother, but being punished for plotting to harm them and making a deal with demon royalty, no less. She had fallen to Hell.

A/N: I’m not entirely proud of this, but I thought I’d try a sinister, mocking Dorothy in this au rather than how Sue acts in the games...With that polite, friendly demeanor that shadows his sadistic side. Dorothy doesn't hide it. She lets it show. And she pays the price for it. Once again, this is my Boy Meets Girl/Story of Sue AU. Sorry for not updating a lot, to those of you who are still following this collection of one-shots. I’m making a chaptered fic of another au of this game I came up with, in its own separate book, the next chapter will be of a sneak peak of some sorts.