Chapter 46

"Let me out of here!" Halley screamed at the top of her lungs as her hands bang on the huge oak door. She rested her forehead on the door and inhale deeply trying to calm her trembling body. Then she  heard footsteps and the door unbolting taking a step backwards she quickly looked for something to injured her intruder. Halley spotted an empty sliver candle holder on the dinning table and wasted no time snatching it.

Vandenburgh yelped in pain when he was hit across the face with the object. He feel backwards blocking the doorway, cursing incoherent words in French. Halley surged passed him only to be grabbed by her ankle. She fell on her face, loosening her grip on the candle holder. " Let go of me!" She struggled.

"Halley!" Halley's heart battered with joy upon hearing Samantha's voice. She had escaped! Halley released the candle holder, for Sam to take who wasted no time pounding Van's hand to released Halley. Seconds passed before Halley was freed and she scrambled to her feet.

" Run Halley!"

"No I'm not leaving without you!"

Samantha stopped beating Vandenburgh in his back and glared at Halley. " I promised I'll be right behind you after I finished with him." Her breathing was labored and her eyes squinted at the body laying on the ground. " Now go!" They wouldn't stop unless they are dead. " quit being so bloody stubborn and go!"

Halley pressed her lips together. "Five minutes "

****

Halley's body trembled as the cold night air assault it. She could see the white foam escaping her mouth as her breathing became rapid. She slid to the ground with her back pressed against a huge oak tree. The hooting of owls and shadowed branches emerge an eerie feeling within in her. Halley close her eyes momentarily, blocking out the disturbing scene. She'll wait for Samantha here.

"Halley!" Halley's eyes flew opened. She peeped from behind the tree to see Katherine standing outside of the house. What was she doing here? Did they kidnapped her as well? Her eyebrows creased and why was Samantha taking so long?

Halley stood to her feet and head back to the house. "Katherine! "

Katherine smirked when she saw Halley emerging from the trees. She knew Halley wouldn't have gotten very far. Katherine was just about to descend the stairs when she saw Halley racing outside the house. Those stupid incompetent men had let her escaped! " Oh Halley they had kidnapped me and brought me back here to this awful place!" She sobbed. The huge gown concealed the pistol she had in her hand. " I'm so glad you are safe!"

" Katherine We need to..." Halley halted in her steps, her hands released her skirt she held, upon recognising the ring around Katherine's neck. " What are you doing with that?" Her gazed left the ring to stare at Katherine as she took steps backwards.

"Don't move!"

Halley's teeth clenched. " I should have known no one could be that stupid! You fool everyone didn't you! How long had you been working for them!"

An hysterical laughter filled the atmosphere. " I'm a pretty good actress, aren't I?! " she smiled to herself with pride. "I'm not working for anyone, you peasant princess now get back inside! Until father returned!"

Father! Halley's mouth gaped opened. The evil man was her father!  That explains a lot. " Now I see where you got your stupidity. Do you even know how to use a pistol? " Katherine eyes flickered to the pistol then back at Halley.

All you have to do was pull the trigger... right? She swallowed. " I said get inside!! "

Halley stared behind Katherine with a smirk who was abruptly  hit across the head with  the same candle holder. She fell to the ground. Unconscious.