CHAPTER 1

*at LAX airport

y/n’s POV:

                “It’s alright, Mom. Just go.” I said.

                “But what if—“

                “Don’t worry, Bruno and Demi are here to watch out for me.”

                “I know y/n, but remember what—“

                “Mom, I’d rather you not talk about it. And besides, it’s been a little more than a year and I’m safe.”

                Mom bit her lip and hesitated. “Fine… But if anything strange happens, make sure you’re with your friends. Particularly Bruno, just in case anything—“

                “I got it, Mom!” I said laughing. She is so protective.

                “Ok, ok!” she laughed. “I’ll be back in October.” She said walking away pulling her luggage with her. “And watch out for each other!”

                “Got it, Mom!”

Max and I stood there and watched her leave until she was out of sight. I checked the time on my phone. 11:15 pm.

                “Well, let’s go lil’ bro.” I said and patted his back as we walked out of the airport back to our car.

                “Why does Mom have to leave so often…” Max groaned.

                “I know right… But that’s her job. She’s a traveling translator. People need her.”

                “I know, I know. She’s just never home. And she’s gonna miss my birthday… again.” Max said frowning as we got into my car.

                “ Never say never, Max. And I know, I miss her too. You had it lucky. I haven’t been home for  4 years.”

                “Oh yeah, you’re right… You got—“

                “Max! Just call it ‘the incident’ for now.”

                “Ok ok. Sorry.”

                I looked at him. “It’s ok.” I said and turned the radio on to get our minds off the subject. “So… your birthday’s coming up right?”

                “Yup, July 10! 13 years old.” He said smiling.

                “Ooh… you’re finally gonna be a teenager now!”

                He blushed. “Haha yeah, whatever.” He said as if he didn’t care.

We arrived home and Max went straight to bed.

                “Goodnight.” He said and went up to his room.

                “Goodnight.” I said. I went up to my room and charged my phone. I got a text from Demi.

Demi: you’re going to the BBQ tomorrow, right?

Me: yeah, Brunos house right?

Demi: yup. Is Trey coming?

Me: no he’s not, don’t worry

Demi: LOL. Sorry, but I don’t really like him.

Me: yeah, I can tell.

Demi: Bruno doesn’t either… don’t be mad.

Me: im not mad. I just don’t get why you guys don’t like him.

Demi: because he doesn’t treat you right!

Me: what do you mean?

Demi: remember the other time, he was starting to get abusive, and then you finally broke up with him. But then you guys got back together again.

Me: you can’t expect him to always be happy

Demi: he’s never been happy to be with you!

Me: what?

Demi: has he ever said ‘I love you’ to you before? Or has he ever done something sweet and romantic to you?

Me: well I can’t remember right now, but he has

Demi: well he has never done anything like that for all I know of. Listen, I don’t mean to get you down or anything, but just don’t let him take advantage of you. You’re too nice to even notice these things. It’s so obvious even Bruno and I see it. And Max too.

Me: Max?

Demi: yeah the other day I asked him, what he thinks of trey. He said that he honestly doesn’t like him. He’s not nice to anybody. Not you, not me, not Bruno, not max. I bet your mom doesn’t even like him.

Me: Is this true?

Demi: yes, but you’re too in love with him to even notice.

Me: well im sorry if hes ever been rude to you guys. Ill keep an eye out next time.

Demi: ok good. Well sorry anyways. Didn’t mean to make you sad

Me: it’s ok. Maybe you’re right now that I think about it. But idk

Demi: well whatever happens, we’ll be here for you :)

Me: thank you :)