Chapter 8: Distance

Blair's POV

That movie... It was so mean, so sad, so confronting. I couldn't take it anymore. I got up, I had to leave.

"Hey, where are you going?" Luke asked, he seemed worried but he wasn't even looking at me.

I rolled me eyes, why would I answer him if he didn't even look at me? I just left.

I went to my room, at least there I'd be fine, without that stupid movie. I entered and fell back on my bed, crying a little.

How could Luke show me that movie? It was so... So mean. I felt like Nick was trying to tell me something, he really hated me that much.

"Hey."

I looked up and saw Willow at my window. At this point I couldn't care less about how she got here and why she was here, I was happy to have her here. "Hey."

She walked to me, lying down next to me. She caressed my cheek. "Why are you crying?" she asked as she wiped away my tears.

"It's nothing."

She gave me a look. "It doesn't seem like nothing."

I shrugged.

"Listen, whatever it is, there's a reason you're crying. So if you'd tell me, I can help."

I looked down. "Nick suggested that me and Luke should watch this movie. But this movie is about a girl that's depressed."

"Maybe this girl gets more confident at the end, it could be a good movie."

I nodded, she was right. Why did I doubt Luke?

"Let's look it up, ok?"

I nodded.

She took my phone and looked for the movie. All this time she held me close to her, which relaxed me a lot.

"Here we go." She showed me the screen.

I read it but as soon as I was done, I cried again.

"Hey, shh." She held me close. "It's alright."

"Blair?" At this I shot up.

"Who's that?" Willow whispered.

"Blair, open this door!" I was shocked by Luke's tone, was he angry?

I got up. "Hide, please."

She nodded and hid underneath my bed. I put some stuff under there so she'd be hidden good.

When she was completely hidden, I opened the door. "What?"

He pushed past me and looked around my room, did he hear Willow and me? Was he looking for her? I just have to play this off.

"Luke, what are you doing here?"

He turned to face me. "What's going on, Blair? I planned this whole evening: we'd have a nice meal, then watch a fun movie, then maybe another one... And you just left."

"That movie wasn't fun at all, it was very mean."

He shook his head no. "It is a good movie, Blair."

"Nick said I'd like it, Luke!"

"Yes, so?"

I looked down, shaking my head. How could he be so blind?

"What? Tell me!"

I looked up at him, I couldn't take this anymore... "The movie is about a girl that's depressed and wants to kill herself!"

"It's about a girl that has a low self-esteem but gets over it. He wants you to get over it, Blair." Oh so now he's basically agreeing with Nick saying I have a low self-esteem.

I shook my head no. "The girl kills herself, Luke. I've looked it up."

He looked down. "It is a good movie, Blair." He looked back up in my eyes. "He didn't mean anything with it, just that it was a good movie."

I huffed. "Sure, as long as you believe that." Ok, that was weird. Where did that come from? I sounded like... Like Willow. She was rubbing off on me.

Luke was visibly taken back by what I had just said, and I can't blame him. "Blair, what happened to you?"

I turned around, arms folded, crying. "Just leave me alone."

"Fine, whatever." And he left my room.

Willow came back from underneath the bed. She went to my door and locked it again. Then she came to me, pulling me close to her. "It's ok, you did that well."

I hugged her back, this is what I wanted and needed. I knew now that she's all I really could count on.

______________________________

Luke's POV

"Blair, get up!"

I didn't get a response. 

I sighed. What happened to her? Ever since she got back from the hospital, something changed. But I don't know what.

"Blair!"

"I'm here." she said as she went to sit down at the table.

I served breakfast, and handed her her lunch.

"Thanks."

I nodded and went to sit down. We had breakfast in silence, which was something we never had done before.

All night I kept thinking about what she had said to me, about that movie, about Nick... Did he really try to hurt her behind my back? But why would he? He's not like that at all.

I looked at Blair, I should talk to her about this. And about this person in her room. "Blair," She looked up at me. "I want to talk about yesterday, and about your reaction."

She sighed and looked down.

"Nick didn't mean it like that, he wanted to show us a good movie."

She huffed. "About a suicidal girl."

I groaned but let that one slide. I wanted to focus on something else, something that quite surprised me yesterday. "Why was there someone in your room last night?"

At this she looked up at me, shock in her eyes. Seeing this, I knew I was onto something. She felt busted. She wanted to hide this person, for some reason.

"Well?"

She looked down.

"Blair, I'm not asking again."

She suddenly got up and took her backpack, preparing it for the day.

"Blair?"

She just ignored me... What happened to her?

"Blair, please."

At this she looked at me, finally.

"Why was there someone in your room? You shouldn't do that."

She huffed. "Oh so when you're having sleepovers with your friends, that's fine. But when I talk to someone on the phone, the world ends!"

I blinked. "W-what?"

She shook her head no and just left, without me.

"Blair!" I got up and ran to the front door. I saw her running away, to school I'm assuming. I don't understand her behavior, why isn't she talking to me? Why is she so distant? Why is she shutting me out?