CHAPTER-48

"I'm so sorry, Oliver," I whispered meekly, glancing at the gauze at the side of his neck.

He looked up from the cup he was filling with the tea. He smiled lightly as he set the tea pot aside and handed me a cup.

"It wasn't your fault," He assured.

But the guilt of what I did last night didn't assuage me with his words. I felt terrible.

I took the cup from him, holding it between my palm, trying to take in the warmth.

I didn't know why I did that. I was in the room, feeling down due to what Reuben hid from me and how he coldly confronted me on that matter.

Listening to aunt Valerie's accident made me break. Erebus warning played in my ears. I felt like being mocked for not listening to him. After having that dream, I felt losing the control of my emotions and mind.

All the feeling came, surfacing on my heart. I felt so overwhelmed with the negativity of my emotions that I considered jumping out of the window in some compulsion created by the words from my dream.

I wanted to save everyone. I still wanted to, but I was finding no courage to do that again.

"You know, when I lost my parents, and few year after, my brother. I considered jumping off the cliff," His words caught my attention, pulling me out of my brooding. "I wanted to put stop to Erebus' doing by killing me, the last Gray," But when I was about to do that. I heard my brother's voice," his eyes looked far off in a distance as if reliving that memory. "You are not eradicating the chances of getting this worse, you are eradicating the chance of this ever getting better. These were the words I heard and stopped."

His words pulled some strings at my heart as I looked at him, wondering how could he have bear all this pain of losing the people he loved and still managed that carefree smile on his face.

How?

"You are really strong, Oliver."

"You are too, Aurora," He beamed.

"Nice try," I sighed, looking down.

He put his finger under my chin and held it up that my eyes were levelled to his. "It was just the moment's breakdown last night which was used by that wretched being. So don't ever consider yourself weak. You aren't weak, Aurora."

Our gazes locked as I listened to his words intently, for an instant I saw some emotion building inside his eyes, seeping into his face.

His face got closer a little, but then he receded back. Conflicts, hurt, and at last determination scrolled down his face.

I looked at him puzzled, "Is something the matter, Oliver?"

He shook his head, giving me a quick twitch of lips, "Nothing. "

Footsteps resounded behind us. We looked over our shoulder.

"Aurora, come," Reuben spoke, walking towards me.

"Where?" I asked.

"To see your Aunt," He replied.

***

I sat on the seat by the white bed with tears clouding my vision. My aunt laid on it, various tubes attached to her body, her whole head was gauzed up. There was violet mark marring the right side of her face.

Doctors spoke there were very little chances for her to ever wake up again.

"Reuben," my voice came out cracked. "Can't magic help in her condition?"