CHAPTER-43

I sat staring at the high rise buildings, sprinting in the view, occasionally glancing at the Reuben who was more focussed on his drive.

If Oliver was here, then the drive back to Reuben's place must have been little less quiet, but he had some work with Charlie, and to my great surprise Reuben didn't protest his stay there.

I wanted to believe that he had developed some faith in Oliver, but to whom would I be kidding? I knew very well with the looks they both shared had something going on to add fuel to the never ending feud between them.

I looked at my face reflected on the window, my eyes reflecting the question back at me- I wonder what is the reason of this feud between these guys?

I sighed.

To confront Reuben on this directly would be futile. He hadn't conversed with me except for some little talks, in a week. It was like something heavy was settling between us. Was he still mad for that day?

I glanced at him, his face was stoic, his eyes were set on the road ahead in a hard stare. For some unknown reason he seemed to be pissed.

My chest constricted at the first memory of Reuben. The day he saved me from Erebus, the day he treated me so softly, the day he lifted me in his arms, the day my heart fluttered for the first time...for...him. He sure had many shades, but I liked his tender one more.

I didn't know what it was, but I couldn't stop mulling over him.

Why does it matters to me anyway?

The car came to an abrupt halt, pulling me out of my brooding. I looked out the window to find the car stopped amidst of other cars, a glimpse of ambulance could be seen in the front. Perhaps, an accident happened.

I peeked a look at Reuben, his eyes seemed to be focussed ahead but not his mind. He was spacing out, which was a very unusual sight.

A tapping on the window resounded by my side, I turned, to find a teenage girl with disturbingly blank expression, staring at me with an eerie look. A fresh looking gash was formed beneath her eye, and her white cotton shirt was drenched in scarlet.

I wanted to offer her help, but her presence was giving me chill, making me unable to get the words out of my mouth.

The window on my side, rolled down on its own, making my frown harder. My eyes now looked at the girl with dread as that unexplainable action and her disturbing presence settled in me.

"He did this." She spoke in a monotonous voice, looking me straight in the eyes.

I looked at her confounded, unable to grasp the meaning of her words.

"He's furious." she spoke the words deadpan. "If you don't go to him willingly, then," her head slowly turned towards her side, to the direction from where I could see the glimpse of the ambulance at the accident site. "This awaited for the fate of the all you love," my heart stopped, grasping the indication of her words. "Just like me they all will be," Saying this in her vacant voice she started walking off from there, but then she stopped, looking at me over her shoulder, her eyes gleaming with ultimate grief. "Dead." and with this her form dissolved in the air, right before my eyes eradicating the proof of her existence.

I stared at the direction where she went to in horror. My eyes started getting wet, her words echoing inside my ears like cries of death.

Her warning burned me from inside, even for a second he didn't let me forget his sinister presence. It was so agonizing. I couldn't take this all anymore. It was penetrating right through me.