His face lit up at that, “can we buy cookies mummie? Can we? Can we?” he hopped at his chair and bouncing beside me with a smile on his face.

Who would say “no” to that.. frustrated, I nod smiling. “Ok but no sweets mister!” I said sternly. He stopped bouncing and hugged me. “I wuv you mummie.”

My heart swelled at that. Hugging him back I whispered, “I love you so much baby.”

When I washed the dishes, the doorbell rang. Quickly wiping my wet hands on a cloth nearby, I walked to the door and opened it. It was my sister Annie.

She is 18 years old and is currently studying at a University nearby. She is a scholar student and is now babysitting Colby for me. I greeted and hugged her and ushered to go inside.

“Hi sis, so your now ready to go?” she asked while putting her handbag on the sofa.

I shake my head, “No, I was just finishing the dishes. I’m just going to hop on the shower and get ready.”

Walking back to the bathroom, I strip on my oversized shirt and underwear. Turning on the shower, I rinsed myself when the water hits my skin. After taking a bath, I grabbed a towel and dried myself.

Walking to my mini closet, I look for something appropriate. I picked a high waste pencil skirt and a peach top. Paired it up with a leather pointed toe black pumps that mom bought for me. I just blow dried my hair making it wavy and smooth.  Applying just a foundation, eyeliner and red lipstick then I’m all done.

After dressing, I put all my resume and files inside my bag. Glancing last at my outfit for today on the mirror, I exited the room.

I see both of them watching TV on the sofa. “Hey, I got to go baby, mommy will be back later ok?” I kissed his cheek. He nods and kissed me saying, “Ok mummie! Auntie Annie told me we could go to the pawk.”

“Ok, just be home before 5pm ok?” he nods his small heat at me and resumed watching cartoons.

“Annie, watch out for Colby ok? Text me if something went wrong. Be safe.” I waved at them and exited the place.

*

*

*

“Shit!” I cursed. Of course, I curse. I just don’t do that infront of Colby. Its been a whole day of passing out resumes and still no luck.

 I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. I’ve still got only one resume left so I continued walking. This is the upper side of the city. Hopefully, I can find something here.

Busy people walking down the streets holding their phones all dressed in their suits, tall modern buildings seen everywhere. How in the hell will I find a job here? I thought. Surely, they’re looking for someone with excellent bio!  

Huffing, I was about to turn back when I spotted something on my peripheral vision. I turned. There, a signage is hung beside the door. Yes! I almost do a happy dance. I quickly walked across the street and fixed my skirt and top before I entered the diner.

The outside consists of chairs and tables in front and a Franky’s Diner sign at the entrance. The inside design is a combination of new and old. Red, white and black is the color motif.

A bell sound at my arrival. They have a couple of customers sitting, eating and chatting. I quickly search the person in charge. Spotting a man behind the counter I approach him.

“Uhm, hi! I noticed the signage at your window and I was wondering if I can apply here?” the man looks at me. I think he’s around mid-40’s but I’m not sure. He examined me from head to foot .

“Do you have experience in serving foods?” he asked me. I nod, “Yes, when I was in college. I did a part-time job at a small restaurant.” He was silent after. Sizing me up if I’m fit to be there.

“We have high-profile customers. Mostly, businessmen and women who are not that kind. Are you up for that? I don’t like tardiness and I won’t ” He raises an eyebrow. Psht! No big deal.

“Yes. That will be no problem at all. I won’t be late, promise.” I smiled at him while crossing my fingers.

After a couple of minutes, he nods. I beamed, “Your hired. You start tomorrow 8am-6pm. Do you have a resume with you?”

I opened my bag and grab the last of my resumes, “Yes, here it is.” I handed it to him.

He extends his right hands for me to shake, “I’m Frank the owner. Welcome to Franky’s Athena.” He smiled at me while I shake his hands.

Beaming I said, “Thank you Mr. Frank. You don’t know how I badly needed a job!” I almost jumped and hug him.

Chuckling, “Ok,ok. Just be here tomorrow.” He continued wiping the top counter while I exited the diner waving at him goodbye.

I fist pumped and laughed at the curious stares of people walking on the streets. Thank God! Ive a job! Oh, I have a job! Hey, I can be childish too you know. Laughing, I hummed I Feel Good.

Whoah! I feel good..nananana.. I knew that I would, nanana..  while I walked home excited to tell my baby and sister the good news!