Chapter 4

"I'm not lying! I hung out with him the entire day!" I whine, gripping his arm tightly, "Why the hell won't you believe me?"

Brett puts his hands up in surrender, chuckling, "I never said I didn't believe you, I said that's hard to believe. Two completely different meanings, friend."

I relax, leaning back in my seat, "Well believe it, because it happened. He didn't chase me away with a knife. We sat down and he played guitar and I sang. He even smiled a couple times. Then at the end he told me that his name was Niall, not Rec." I lean closer, "Don't you see? He's not a freak. I was right. He just needs a friend, that's all."

Me and Brett are in the school lunchroom, alone at our table in the back. Neither of us are actually eating, though. The food here is disgusting. I'm just kind of absentmindedly poking a mysterious chunk of meat with my fork while chatting with Brett. He's doing the same.

Brett lets out a big whoosh of air, "Whatever you say. I've finally come to the realization that nothing I say or do is going to keep you from that boy. Am I correct?"

"Correct you are." I nod.

"So just let me give you one last warning. If you're gonna go through with this insane obsession of yours, then do it quiety. Don't go blabbering about it to everyone at school. They'll think you're mental."

"I won't, but for the record, they already do think I'm mental." I tell him.

"What do you mean?" He cocks his head to the side.

"I've heard gossip here and there about me. People say I'm "the gay freak's friend" or "that girl that cackles in chemistry". My reputations already down the drain." I grin at him.

He shakes his head, laughing lightly, "Well, I sure know how to pick friends. How did I get stuck with you?"

"Hey, this is all your fault. You approached me, remember?"

"And you thought I was hot and then I told you I was gay. Priceless." He laughs again and I slap his arm.

Suddenly, a thought strikes me and my grin grows, "So do you have any... interests these days?"

He raises an eyebrow, smirking, "Interests?"

"You know... Do you have a crush on anybody?"

"I'm not telling you."

"Why not?" I whimper.

"Because you'll try to plan a double date with you and your freaky cemetary boy." He teases.

"Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Tell me who you liiike."

The bell rings then and Brett stands up triumphantly, "Time for class. See you soon, bestie." He walks away, but not before giving me a wink over his shoulder. I scowl and call after him, "Little piece of shit!"

I hear his loud laughter even as he exits the cafeteria.

I sigh, dump my tray, and exit the cafeteria myself.

~

The rest of the week went by excruciatingly slow. Nothing eventful happened, really. I finished the hair of my Zac Efron portrait. I literally almost got a detention. It looks like I didn't try hard at all, but in all honesty, I tried really hard. Even giving my greatest effort, my art continues to look like crap.

In English Literature, we've continued reading the Great Gatsby. I absolutely hate how we have to read in class every day at the same pace as everybody else. I could finish this book in a night if they let me. I guess I've already read it, though, so I'll just have to read it slow this time.