Chapter 26

I look at him, eyes wide, "What are you... What the fuck are you talking about?"

I raise my voice, but he keeps his quiet, "We can't be together."

The butterflies in my stomach are replaced by prickling thorns of irritation, "Did I miss something? I thought you just told me you loved me, literally a minute ago."

"I do love you, more than anything." He fires back, eyebrows knitting together in concern.

"Then why are you doing this?" My voice cracks, "after everything that we went through, why are you doing this now?"

"Madison..." He sighs, closing his eyes.

"I've been crying my eyes out and feeling dead inside for two fucking weeks, waiting for you to wake up. It's been hell, it's been the worst two weeks of my entire life. I don't understand why you're doing this."

I sit there, dumbfounded, waiting for a fucking explanation. "Are you not gonna explain any of this? You just want to end it? With no fucking explanation?"

He opens his mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. I wait, but he closes it, not speaking.

"Niall..." I press.

He still says nothing, blue eyes sparkling with a strange sadness that I can't quite understand.

"I'm not leaving until you explain to me why-"

"I'm not telling you anything, Madison. Just go, okay?"

"Niall-"

"Just go. Go." He suddenly snaps.

I flinch at his harsh tone. Who the fuck is this boy in front of me? He looks exactly like the boy I fell in love with, but it can't possibly be him. He's acting too insane. He's making no sense.

I slowly lift myself onto my feet and walk towards the door, my entire body trembling with... I don't know, all sorts of emotions. I look back at him. Tears are streaming down his cheeks, but he says nothing. I drag my feet across the floor, turning around and leaving the room.

In the hallway, I collapse to the floor, sobbing and wailing. I feel like I'm going to pass out. I cant believe that just happened. I can't believe it.

Several doctors rush to my side, thinking I'm hurt. Zayn is one of them. He leans down, putting his hands on my face, "Madison, what's going on?" He asks gently.

I can't even form a sentence, crying out, "He-he.... It hurts so bad. I-I"

Zayn looks up at one of the older doctors, "Check on Niall."

The doctor nods, rushing into Niall's room.

Zayn squeezes my hand, "Madison. You need to tell me what's going on."

I push him away, struggling to my feet and walking away from him.

He follows me, grabbing my shoulder, "Madison, talk to me. What-"

I whip around and slap him across the face, "Don't fucking touch me." I spit at him. I spin around and enter the stairwell without looking back, leaving him standing in the hallway, stunned at my actions.