Chapter 1

I stop at the foot of the long paved path, worn down from many years of teens walking across it. I swing my backpack over my shoulder once more, inhaling deeply, and beginning to walk.

First day at a new highschool. Can't wait.

I can't control my trembling body and clammy hands as I enter the building. Can you seriously blame me for being nervous? Moving to a new highschool during your junior year is never easy. By this point, everybody has already found their group of friends. Not many people will be willing to accept a new kid like me.

I slowly walk into the school. My blue eyes scan the area, widening. This place has so many people! My old high school was small, only occupied by about 200 teenagers. This one? I'm guessing there's 3 times as many.

My earlier statement about teens and their friends is proven wrong when a guy comes up to me with a wide smile, "Hey!"

I shyly smile back.

Oh god. Saying that he's attractive is an understatement. His hair is a dirty blonde color, styled into a small quiff. His eyes are a sparkling hazel color, and his lips are full and pink. Muscles ripple along his arms and I'm suddenly wondering why something this heavenly is speaking to me.

"Do you have some speaking disorder? Can you hear me?" He shouts the last sentence playfully, smirking.

Sassy little shit.

"I-I can speak. I'm just... you're just.... HI." I stutter and he laughs.

He holds out his hand for me to shake. I awkwardly wipe my sweaty hands on my jeans before doing so, "My names Brett. And you are?"

"I'm Madison." I speak softly, smiling again.

He chuckles before saying, "Before you get your hopes up too high, you should know that I'm gay."

I take a step back, eyes wide, "O-oh."

Brett laughs again, unbothered, "Did I disappoint you?"

"A little bit." I respond teasingly, suddenly relaxing. He's much easier to talk to knowing that I don't have to try and impress him in that way.

"Are you new here?" He asks.

"Yep."

"I am too. Sort of. Came here this summer. New to this school, I guess"

"Then how'd you know I was new?" I ask, confused.

"You looked a little terrified coming in. Like a deer in headlights." He says with another laugh.

"Well sorry, I expected this to be an uncomfortable experience. Changing highschools at the beginning of junior year."

"Same for me. Now we have eachother, eh? Walk with me, let's find the lunchroom. I hear there's free breakfast." He moves his eyebrows suggestively and begins walking down the hallway. I laugh and shake my head before following him. I have a feeling I just made a really interesting new friend. Maybe this year won't be so bad after all.

Little did I know the shit I was about to go through...

~ ~ ~

The bell rings and I head off to my locker, smiling like an idiot. I love this school. I really do.

My first hour is English Literature, and I'm in love with the class. Our teacher is named Mr Dervack, but he wants us to call him Mr Henry. For the entire hour, we talked about the basic rules of the class and some of the novels we'll be focussing on this year. He's a fan of many classic novels that I love, such as Pride and Prejudice and even some newer novels that I love, like Looking For Alaska and After. He's read most of the books I love and has really interesting opinions on them. I have a good feeling that I'm going to love that class.