Chapter 36

I pull into Brett's driveway and climb out of my car. I jog up to his bright red door and swing it open, inviting myself in.

"Brett?" I call through the house.

"Up here." He yells from upstairs, from his bedroom, I assume.

I take the steps two at a time, and pose dramatically in his doorway, "How do I look?"

"Like a Zumiez model. Stunning." He smiles up at me and I do a spin.

"Having short hair is so fun. Long hair is so heavy and hard to take care of."

"It suits you." Brett agrees with an approving nod, "I honestly didn't expect it to. I was ready to lie my ass off about how good it looks."

I narrow my eyes at him, "how do I know you're not lying about liking it right now?"

His grin slowly grows, "Because I'm a shitty liar."

I consider this before nodding and sitting next to him on the floor, "Very true. So you and Harry are fighting?"

He nods slowly, eyes glued to the floor, "Yeah."

I wait for him to elaborate but he doesn't, so I prompt, "About...?"

He shakes his head, "It's not important."

"Obviously it is, you called me here because of it.. What's going on?"

He conceals his head in his hands and groans.

"Brett?" I question cautiously. What the fuck is even going on with him?

"I just told you I'm a shitty liar." He growls without looking up at me.

"What are you lying about then?" I snap.

"Me and Harry aren't just fighting. We uh, broke up."

I stare at him as he finally lifts his head and meets my gaze with his.

"You're still lying." I accuse, narrowing my eyes, "Tell me what's actually going on."

Brett sighs deeply, running a hand nervously through his short hair, "I'm just going through something right now and I'm not ready to tell you. Okay? Can you respect my privacy?"

"I would gladly respect your privacy, but you did invite me over for a reason. If you want to tell me, please know that you can." I comfort him, squeezing his hand.

He smiles at me, green eyes softening, "I most definitely will. Thanks."

- - -

I spin into Brett's arms and he dips me. I giggle, singing along to the music, "Drop everything now, meet me in the pouring rain."

"Kiss me on the side walk, take away the pain." He joins me.

Our hands connect and we twirl around the kitchen as we harmonize, "And I see sparks fly, whenever you-"

Beep!

The oven goes off and I dive for an oven mit, "Da brownies!" I squeal, whipping them out of the oven. I fumble for a knife and begin to cut myself a piece.

"You should let them cool first, you dumbass." Brett says to me with a smirk.

"Naaaaah." I dismiss him. I take a bite of my beloved brownie and immediately spit it out, whining, "Shit! My fucking tongue is fucking-"