The Drink

Regina walked into her town home and kicked her shoes off. She placed her coat on the hook and set her purse down on the hall table. Her phone had been going off non stop with calls and texts from Belle and Robyn ever since she stormed out of the restaurant. She glared down at the screen again and then shut the phone off slamming it down on the table. 

 She caught a glimpse of herself in the hall mirror and she looked defeated. She wanted to feel like she did the right thing. She wanted to feel reassured that something better was going to come along. She wanted to feel strong, brave, confident... anything than terrified that she just made a horrible mistake.

 She looked into her dark eyes once again and then the tears began streaming down her face. Her mascara quickly began to run down her face and her eyes began to blur over. She stepped back a few steps until she hit the wall and slid down it until she felt the floor beneath her. Her knees met her chest, her head met her knees, and she melted into herself losing all sense of composure.

....

"Skittles! There is Mommy's girl!" Emma called out as she walked into Killian's back yard through the white gate from the driveway. Skittles came running to the blonde and jumped up her tail wagging as fast as ever.

"Hey!" Killian called out from the patio table where he was waiting with a beer in hand.

"Hey!" Emma replied as she walked to the table Skittles galloping behind her and Bruno running up to greet Emma. 

"Hey buddy what's up," she said as she bent down to rub the bulldogs head. Bruno responded with a wag of his tail. Killian picked up a tennis ball and threw it out into the yard and the dogs ran out happily after it. 

Emma smiled as she watched the pups run around with each other and she stretched out her back before punching her friend in the arm. 

"What's up?" 

"Nothing! I love a day off. Coming from the gym?" Killian asked noticing his friend was in her typical track pants and a tank top. 

"Yeah, and between last night and the lift session I'm exhausted." Emma smirked.

"Ha! Just couldn't help yourself could ya?" Killian laughed.

"Oh you know you were going to ask anyways," Emma said as she sat down next to him.

"Here," Killian handed Emma a beer, "It's a new one I found today."

"Oh nice," Emma said as she twisted the top off and took a swig.

"Yep I found it right after I dropped off your lady love."

Emma choked on her drink, "What?"

"Regina, didn't she tell you?"

"No, I haven't talked to her. I sent her a text when I was at the gym but she never replied. I just figured that she was busy at work. Why? What's wrong?"

Killian looked nervous, "Um, I don't know if I should tell you..."

"Killian! You have me scared now, what is going on? Is she hurt?"

"Oh no...Em, no she isn't hurt. She lost her job. Well, she quit her job actually."

"Seriously?"

"Afraid so."

"That is amazing!"

Killian looked shocked, "That's not how she explained it."

"Well she might not have thought so at the time but trust me deep down I think it is what she wanted. But, wait what do you mean you dropped her off?"

"Well she was walking down Hunter Drive a litter after 2 o' clock so I picked her up and took her home."

"Oh, I bet because she drove into work with Belle today so she didn't have her car. Damn, I wish she would have called me. So you dropped her off at home?"

"Yep, I took her straight home like a proper gentleman." Killian smiled and took a swig of his beer.

Emma laughed, "So, I wonder why she hasn't text me back?"

Killian shrugged his shoulders, "Dunno mate."

"Hm. Give me a second I'm going to try and call her." Emma grabbed her phone and clicked on Regina's name. The phone went straight to voicemail. "Hey babe...it's me...I'm at Killian's and he let me know what was going on. I hope you are okay gorgeous. For what it is worth I am really proud of you. Anyways, um, please call me or text me back and let me know that you are okay. I would really like to see you. You can come over or I can come to you just let me know okay?"

Emma hung up the phone and took a drink of her beer.

"You really like her don't you?"

Emma nodded her head.

"So why are you still sitting here?"

Emma smiled at her friend. He knew her so well.

"Thanks for the drink." Emma smiled and set the bottle on the table. "We will catch up soon I promise."

"Don't worry about it. Go get your girl." Killian stood up and hugged his friend.

Emma gave Skittles a hug and ran through the gate and back to her Jeep.