The Worry

Emma walked into her classroom the next morning setting her briefcase in her chair and began opening the shades to let the morning sun in.

"Knock, knock." Mrs. Lucas said as Emma turned around and saw the petite older woman in the door way.

"Good morning Julie," Emma smiled and greeted the woman who had become family to Emma over the years.

"Morning dear," Mrs. Lucas said as she entered in the room, "We haven't had a chance to talk I have been so busy with this fundraiser. Were you able to secure the caterer? Ms. Mills I believe was her name?"

"Yes, I have! I'm sorry I forgot to let you know. Yes, she has agreed to do the fundraiser!"

"Okay, fantastic dear. So, what are we needing budget wise?" the woman asked as she pulled a notepad and pen out of her long gray sweater.

"Not a penny. She has agreed to do it free of charge!"

Mrs. Lucas jaw dropped open. "No! Free of charge?"

"Yes! Her mother was a teacher so she has a soft spot for schools and wants to do it!"

"Oh goodness! Emma dear that is such wonderful news! Thank you so much!" She pulled the woman into a hug.

Emma smiled at the familiar embrace. "You are welcome and I will pass along your gratitude to Regina."

"Regina?" Mrs. Lucas questioned.

Crap. Emma thought. "Um...yeah Ms. Mills... her name is Regina. I have gotten to know her over the weekend. She is a wonderful person."

"Oh, okay...well that is great to know dear. Yes, please do send my appreciation on to her. I would do it myself but I am simply just too busy with all of this. Not enough hours in the day!" Just as she began to become flustered at the thought the bell for the start of the day rang.

"I understand Julie. Have a good day okay?" Emma smiled warmly at the overworked older woman who has aged drastically since Ruby's passing.

"You too dear," she smiled as she weaved through the rush of children now entering the classroom.

....

Regina was cleaning up her townhome as she was thinking about what Emma said last night. She really did love the thought of leaving La Pomme and having her own place. She had always dreamed of owning some charming café where she could serve her own recipes in a peaceful atmosphere and be her own boss. Maybe one day she really could make that dream a reality. Ha who am I kidding? I am lucky enough to live a life this nice. Don't start getting greedy.

As she started a load of laundry in the utility closet she heard her phone ring. Glancing at the clock on the wall she knew it couldn't be Emma as it was only 9:30 and she had told her she didn't get lunch until Noon. Regina jogged to her phone on her nightstand to see it was Belle.

"Hello," Regina answered out of breath.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did I interrupt something?" Belle laughed.

"No," Regina laughed at her friend, "Emma is at work I was just in the other room is all."

"I see. Hey so are you dressed? I just grabbed us coffees and I was going to stop in. We need to catch up and then I figured we could ride in together."