Chapter 31 - Confessions on Recall | Skylar

Here we stand

Worlds apart, hearts broken in two

Sleepless nights

Losing ground, I'm reaching for you

— Separate Ways by Daughtery feat. Lizzy Hale

Skylar pulled up to the driveway and stared at the Waldorf house

Skylar pulled up to the driveway and stared at the Waldorf house. It was a beautiful shell filled with heartache. 

The house was quiet. She walked past the living room and paused when she saw Daniel. He sat nursing a glass of whisky.

"Have you found what you're looking for at the bottom of that bottle yet?" Skylar eyed the empty whiskey bottle on the table next to him.

He jumped. "Skylar, you frightened me."

"Where's Lyn?"

He smiled. "Lyn...you used to call her that when you were little."

Skylar pressed her lips together. "Is Evelyn here?"

"Lara confessed. She wanted you out of the picture and never had your best interest at heart." Daniel stared off into nothing. "I sent her away, to go stay with her sister for the time being," he slurred.

Skylar sighed and crossed her arms over her chest. "Good for you."

He leaned back into his chair and dragged a hand down his face. "The first time I saw your mother we were nineteen. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on. I instantly fell in love with her."

Skylar frowned. "You're drunk."

Daniel chuckled. "Maybe, but it doesn't make it less true."

Skylar leaned against the door frame. "Go on."

Daniel downed the remainder of his whisky. "We were infatuated, and for several months we dated. It was the best time of my life. But she was poor, and my family forbade me to ever see her again telling me that I could do better. We rebelled against the odds, but they were stacked high against us. In the end, she got tired of the drama, and she left me."

"Why are you telling me this?" Skylar walked to sit on the chair across from him.

"Donna was the love of my life. We ran into each other again after a few years, but by then my family already forced me to marry Lara, and Evelyn was born. When I saw Donna, I fell in love with her all over again. Skylar, you were conceived out of love."

Skylar swallowed. She meant something to him. The thought was comforting.

Daniel stood up and paced the room. "I love Evelyn, very much, and she was the only reason I didn't leave Lara then and there. I continued my affair with Donna and then you were born..." He stopped and looked at her. "Skylar you were beautiful, and I loved you unconditionally...I still do."