Chapter 20 - Revelations | Jason

Do you feel safe?
Out in the light
Or is this the place
Where monsters hide?
You're not such an easy target
One minute I know you then I don't
I know you then I don't

— Who are you? by SVRCINA

Jason frowned at his reflection in the mirror

Jason frowned at his reflection in the mirror. There were blood smears on his shirt. He sighed and stripped off his clothes and stepped into a hot shower. He washed away the dried blood, from the small cuts on his knuckles, and allowed the heat to relax his tense muscles.

He grabbed a pair of boxers and slowly made his way to the kitchen for a drink. He wandered into the living room and sank down onto the sofa. The whisky left a soothing burn down his throat.

A woman. At least it wasn't Skylar. Jason sighed. There was no more reason for him not to pursue Skylar. He wanted her.

His thoughts raced. There was something gnawing at the back of his mind. He pulled the laptop closer and flipped the screen open to search for the footage of the first attack. He watched the footage over and over.

The fighting style was different.

Jason tried to search for the footage of tonight's attack, but there was nothing. She cut the feed. Bitch.

She went through all the trouble of disguising her voice the first time. Why would she speak this time? Why did she risk revealing herself to me when she could have escaped unnoticed? Certain things just didn't add up.

Jason phoned Aaron, knowing him he would still be up.

"Jason, did Sam get you in time?"

"No, I was too late. But I did run into our attacker, it's a woman, and she killed two of our men."

Aaron huffed. "A woman? Was there anything identifiable about her?"

"She had a hood on, but I could tell she had red hair."

Aaron breathed loudly into the phone. "The camera's—."

"Yeah, she cut the feed."

"I don't know where to begin with this, but I'll find something."

Jason sighed and pulled a hand through his hair. "Thank you. Will you bring Sam up to speed?"

"I'll speak to him. Get some sleep there's nothing that can't wait till the morning. I've already sent out a cleanup crew and new men to the warehouse."

"Thanks." Jason hung up. He stood with a yawn and walked to his bedroom and collapsed on the bed.

The next morning Jason woke with a splitting headache

The next morning Jason woke with a splitting headache. He groaned and placed an arm over his eyes to shield it from the rays of sun streaming in through the open windows. He lay there for several minutes before he dragged himself out of bed to get some aspirin.

There was a knock on the front door.

He groaned and eyed himself in the mirror. He looked like how he felt, but he went to answer the door without any more thought on his appearance. It was probably Sam or Aaron.

Jason pulled the door open.

It was Skylar.