Chapter Eight - The Cullen's

Chapter Eight

The Cullen's

I stayed hidden far back into the cave for over five days. My thirst raged war in my throat but my grief won the battle. I hadn't even moved since arriving and claiming my resting place.

I knew Elle and Henry would be angry with me for just sitting here but I felt human. Weak to the point of having no strength to even move.

What was I going to do now? Where was I going to go?

It felt as if Elle had come back and hit me upside the head in that moment as I realized where I must go now. To find the Cullen's. I speculated on why we couldn't join them before now. I didn't understand the significance to wait until after they had been killed. Why? Why was it important to wait until the Halfling turned three? I didn't understand and I wanted to be mad at Elle.

I forced my self out of the cave to hunt. As soon as I sniffed the breeze, my instincts ruled my actions. I flew through the forest without a pause as I leaped onto the back of my prey's back. The snarling of the large cat only lasted half a second before I had opened its neck and drank the hot luscious meal.

Finally able to control my own thoughts and actions I headed back towards the caves. As I approached the path that led to the mouth of the cave, I caught the scent of other vampires. I froze as I tried to listen for their thoughts. I could hear with my ears of their light footsteps but for some reason I couldn't hear a single thought. I looked frantically around me trying to find them. I felt their powers before one caught the sound of my thoughts. There was another mind reader. I gasped and they all appeared at the mouth of my cave. I crouched; ready to fight if need be, until the mind reader spoke to me.

'Please, do not fear us. We are like you. Look at our eyes for proof. We are the Cullen's.' The gorgeously handsome one thought. He stood next to a dark haired beauty and I knew that must be his mate.

On the right of them were another beautiful dark shorthaired vampire and a blonde male. I saw his scars and a feral growl ripped out me as I sprung fifty yards backwards.

The mind reader raised one hand before speaking out loud. "He will not harm you. He is family."

When he said the word family my breath caught and I slowly stood up straight. They jumped down away from the cave but still kept their distance.

The female vampire, with short dark hair, could see the future. Her mate, the one that scared me, had the ability to manipulate people's moods. The mind readers mate had the power to shield. A very powerful shield at that. I felt uneasy not being able to hear their thoughts.

"I am Edward, this is my wife Bella." He said as he wrapped his arm around her waist. He was so casual in this situation and his tone; a situation I felt that vampires would usually be down in defensive crouches. He continued the introductions. "And this is my sister Alice and brother Jasper."